Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Unbelievable

I actually got some sleep last night. About 7 hours of generic Nyquil induced sleep. It was a restless sleep. Whenever I take that stuff, I'm usually knocked out, but I end up waking up a lot throughout the night with nightmares and whatnot. Anyway, some sleep is better than none. I thought I was going to be able to sleep in some this morning also since Ginger would be taking the kids to school, but even though Quinn didn't have a fever yesterday he was coughing so bad today it sounded like he was about to throw up at times, so we kept him home and I watched him. Turns out that was the right decision, later in the day we noticed that Quinn's fever has returned. I just can't believe it, he finally gets over whatever it is he has, and now he's gotten something else. Since he hasn't really left the house, I have to assume he must have picked up something new from the doctor's office when he went. Luckily Catherine and Ginger haven't gotten whatever it is yet. My fever was still high this morning, but seems to have dropped some (although I did have remnants of imitation DayQuil coursing through my veins). So unless I catch whatever this new bug Quinn has, I might be past the worst of it.

Today was the celebration of Catherine's birthday in her school. Since I was sick and home watching Quinn, Ginger attended the ceremony. Catherine got to bake some cookies at school this morning for the kids in her class and then handed them out during the 'party'. Once Ginger got home with Catherine I retired upstairs and slept some thanks to imitation DayQuil, I got about one and a half hours of sleep, and it was a good sleep too. I woke up just about the time the kids were getting ready to take their naps. When I came downstairs, Quinn was just lying down in the middle of the hallway on his back. When I asked him what he was doing, he told me he was too tired to move. This second sickness wave has really knocked him for a loop. Ginger took the kids upstairs, so I grabbed some lunch, watched a Colbert Report and headed upstairs to grab a quick shower. After that I just sort of laid down on the floor in the sitting room by the bedroom and tried to take a nap (Ginger was napping in the bedroom and I didn't want to disturb her). I'm not sure, but I think I got maybe 15 to 20 minutes of sleep before Ginger and Quinn woke up.

Once Catherine was up, Ginger decided to let them watch some TV (since Quinn is completely lethargic again and can't really move). This led to a big brouhaha since Quinn wanted to watch "Toy Story" and Catherine wanted to watch "Beauty and the Beast." So we had them watch in different places. Quinn watched "Toy Story" downstairs on the couch (since that's where he was and he was already situated), and Catherine came upstairs to watch "Beauty and the Beast" in our bedroom. Ginger made the kids dinner and delivered it to each of them. Quinn didn't eat anything and barely drank some of his Nouriche yogurt. After Quinn's movie was over he crawled off the couch and just laid on the floor, unable to move again. We're probably going to be calling the doctor tomorrow and see if Quinn needs to go back in for a further checkup.

I need to make sure to give Ginger huge props. Since I've been sick she's been basically taking care of both kids pretty much solo. And I know, she'll say that it's not that different from normal (the implication being that I normally don't help that much), but this week I've been helping even less than usual and she's been fantastic.

Also, I need to publish a correction that was pointed out by Ginger. Yesterday I said Quinn was referring to a milk mustache. Point in fact, I was merely taking the word he was using and automatically decomposing it. What he was actually saying was "milkstache". This was the best shot of the milkstache I could find on the camera though, but it's kind of hard to see it.

Since I hear Mardi Gras is over, I'll share this video of Catherine from March 2004 time frame where she and Quinn were practicing on how to get beads. It's Chicken Dance Elmo that they're playing with (the video makes a bit more sense if you've seen a Chicken Dance Elmo in action), and Catherine was just over 1 year old at the time.


No comments: