Thursday, March 02, 2006

Officially Sick of Being Sick

I still have a cough, but my fever seems to be gone. Therefore I foolishly assumed I was all better and ready to head back to work. I even decided I would only do a half day, so how bad could it really be? Apparently pretty bad. My body definitely didn't feel like it should be getting tasked this hard, although all I was really doing was sitting behind my desk, and answering the slew of emails and voicemails that had piled up in my three plus day absence. Strangely work did not come to a complete standstill without me being there (although the request I made to our IT department on Friday of last week hadn't even been assigned anyone yet).

While I was suffering at work, Ginger took Quinn into the doctor for another checkout. Turns out the boy has Strep Throat. Just lovely. Now he's got some new medicine for that he has to take for the next ten days.

Tonight was parent's night at school, where the kids get to bring a parent to the school and show them what they work on during the day. Obviously Quinn was too sick to go, but Catherine went and selected Ginger to go with her (I'm sure she would have asked me, but she knew I was still feeling a little under the weather, yeah, that's the ticket). Catherine showed Ginger how she sews, washes stuff, and attempts to draw cursive letters from example images. Ginger seemed quite impressive.

I put Quinn to bed while they were at school. Ginger instructed me before she left that I could give Quinn some more Motrin if he had a fever. I checked his temperature before putting him to bed, and it was only 98.7, so I didn't give him any. I came back in and checked on him a little over an hour later and his temperature had skyrocketed to 104 degrees in one ear and 103.8 in the other. So I ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off getting him Motrin and begging / pleading / cajoling him to take it. Right after I gave it to him Ginger got home with Catherine. I explained what had happened to her, and a temperature of 104 seems a bit higher than we would expect, so we called (ok, ok, 'we' didn't call, she did) the pediatrician's hotline. They said that a temperature that high was a good reason to call and told us we should give him a fever reducer (like Motrin , which I had already done, Woo! I got something right!), but lacking any other symptoms to just keep an eye on him. The big concern they had seemed to be with it turning into pnuemonia. But he's not showing any of the other symptoms for that (which is really good).

After that ordeal we headed downstairs and watched some TV. We watched "CSI" and "Without a Trace." We (ok, ok, not 'we', Ginger) checked on Quinn a couple of times during the shows, and his temperature did go down after the Motrin took effect (I should buy stock in that stuff).

No comments: