Friday, March 31, 2006

Google Video Upload / Page Creator Bugs

Why is it only me that seems to be able to find bugs in Google's stuff? I think I finally determined the problems I was having uploading videos. So here's the deal. A while back, Google gave out free home pages. I signed up, but quickly noticed that your email address was in the URL, making it pretty darn easy for someone to gather gmail email address (that was my thought anyway). So I created a second account, one that was effectively anonymous just for the web page. I used IE or something to log in and try to make changes, but I couldn't publish any changes.

Fast forward to last night. I uploaded some videos to Google, but they didn't appear in my account after uploading. After 24 hours, the videos still hadn't shown up. So here's what I think is happening. When you log into a google site, there's an option usually that says something like "Remember me on this computer", I'm starting to think that's setting something other just a cookie. I eventually found the videos I uploaded. They had uploaded against my other (anonymous) gmail account. Even though I know I didn't log in on that account in the Google video uploader. So the password for allowing you to upload doesn't actually determine which account you upload videos to (at least that's my new running theory), but instead I think the account and password verification are simply to allow you to upload. The account that it uploads to is determined by where you logged in last (or maybe if you set this remember me option). I think this also explains why I wasn't able to publish changes to the web pages sometimes. Since I was logged in on Mozilla on the other account, the publish was probably all confused (even though I had logged on to the anonymous account, another gmail account was active at the time). This would even explain why I wasn't able to modify my google page from Barry's computer either, since he was probably logged in on his gmail account in another browser (and probably had the remember me setting checked).

I haven't fully tested out this theory. But I think it explains a lot. I'm going to write an email to the Google developers, see if anything I've run into is a known issue. My guess is I won't hear anything back from them. If what I've found is the problem, maybe I can get them to update their FAQ (since it doesn't mention anything about this being a possibility).

No comments: