Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Unwanted Guest

This morning before I took the kids to school, I caught this squirrel on our deck performing what appears to be an obscene act with our bird feeder. You can tell he was quite embarrassed as he took off as soon as he saw me. I've had to chase this guy (or one of his buddies) off a couple times a day. This has been going on ever since we had a big wind a couple weeks ago and the bird feeder fell. That ended up causing the protective covering we used to have over it to break. Even with the cover, I've seen the squirrel do some kamikaze jumps from the deck to the feeder, sometimes they miss and fall. Seems like a lot of effort for bird food.

When I got to school with the kids, they insisted I had to go inside and see the eggs. Yesterday I reported (based on Quinn telling me) that they had duck eggs at his school. They are actually baby chick eggs. They're a big hit with all the kids in the school. There seemed to be a constant group of kids gathered around the table that had the little chicks on it. From what I saw, they started with ten eggs and so far six have hatched.

Catherine was responsible for supplying snack in her class today, but she didn't even get to have any since she left early (it's Tuesday, so she has ballet class).

1 comment:

Scott said...

Those little chicks taste really good flash fried in a butter sauce with tarragon and shallots.

As for the squirrel, if you can catch 20 more of them, I have a great recipe for squirrel sausage! (But there ain't a whole lot of meat on a squirrel, so you need a few more.)