Monday, March 13, 2006

Tornados and Hail? Nope, Sunny and High 80s

I was all worked up last night and couldn't get to sleep. So I ended up watching Boondocks at like 1 AM, and then trying to take some moon pictures after that. I didn't use the sigma lens, but the one that came with the camera (35mm to 70mm). I also tried using a tripod to see if that would change the results. I still used auto focus (to be honest, I'm not sure how to turn that off just yet, I really should read the instructions at some point), but I put it manual mode and changed the shutter speed. I think this shot was done at like 1/500 of a sec. Not positive, but that could be part of a tree branch in the bottom left. These definitely aren't Hubble telescope quality pictures.

Today started weird. After getting a big six hours of sleep, Quinn woke me up by calling out around 8. Now normally on school days Ginger is up by 7:15 or so and showering, but today she was still sleeping. Quinn asked if it was a school day, and since Ginger wasn't up, I figured maybe it wasn't. I looked over at his calendar and low and behold it's Labor Day, so I told him no, it wasn't a school day. With that knowledge in hand he was ready to get up and go downstairs and have breakfast. We went downstairs and I made waffles (I had batter left over from yesterday) and fixed him some cereal and OJ. About this time Ginger yells downstairs that he needs to come up and take a bath and what was I doing not getting him ready. I explained what had happened and she told me that it was indeed Labor Day, but in Australia (oops) and that she hadn't woken up because her alarm was turned off (she claims by me on Friday, which I can neither confirm nor deny because I don't remember). Since Ginger hadn't been able to get ready, I went and showered while she bathed the kids and finished giving them the breakfast that I had made. Then I took the kids to school. We were still late getting to school (we got there at 9:15, after 9 I believe is considered late).

I don't know everything that happened after Ginger picked up the kids from school. Although I have these pictures she took of Quinn with his block tower and Catherine putting a slinky on her doll. I think they stayed inside before their nap and after their nap they went outside. I hear Quinn only napped 30 minutes today. The weather here was fantastic again. It hit around 86 degrees today. It's hard to believe this is still officially winter. It's even harder to believe that there are places in the country having tornados and hail storms. The one really negative thing about this warmer weather was I had been using our garage as a de facto refrigerator for my sodas, that's really not working so well anymore.

I got home not too long after 6, and took the kids outside to play some. It was already getting dark though, I'll be glad when daylight savings time kicks in (anyone know when that will be?). The kids evidently got some new bubble toys that we played with for a while, until they decided they wanted to ride the scooter (Quinn) and the tricycle (Catherine). They switched vehicles at one point, but that didn't last too long before they switched back. Pretty soon it just got too dark to play and we had to come back inside.

I tried watching the new sitcom with Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine". Maybe it got better as it went on, but I couldn't make it through the first episode. It's now dead to me.

1 comment:

Curt Sawyer said...

The moon shots are pretty cool. I took a couple with my Cannon 12x zoom but now that I have a tripod I'll have to try some more.

And I don't think it is a branch, I think it is the vanguard of a warfleet about to attack earth!!!

Maybe not.