Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Tale Of Two Pool Posts

The kids made sure we all got up early this morning. None of that sleeping till 8:30 am craziness like Friday. Nope, today we were up with the sun. Ginger had a migraine most of the morning, so I was trying to entertain the kids and get them lunch today solo. Ginger did start feeling a little better later, which is good considering she had to take Catherine to a birthday party at around 3. And no, we have no pictures of said party since Ginger didn't take a camera with her (this is like a recurring theme recently or something).


Catherine is getting harder and harder to photograph. It used to be you were pretty much guaranteed a good shot of her because for whatever reason she just really played up the camera. Recently though she's started that fake smile stuff whenever she notices the camera. Or worse tries to hide from the camera entirely. Almost as if the camera has become the bane of her existence with it always being around.


While they were gone Quinn and I played some 'tennis' and did some gardening. The gardening was actually pretty tough considering we were digging a hole in a fence corner where I swear it feels like there were more rocks than dirt. Eventually I was able to get the hold deep and wide enough for the plant though, so that's good. And once we finished that project we rewarded ourselves with a trip to the pool.


This shot normally wouldn't have made the cut, but the fact that I got it just as his feet are touching down on the water almost makes it look like he can walk on water.



I still looking for a good shot like this. I think this one is slightly out of focus. I may not be able to get the shot I want using auto focus. I may have to set it up for manual focus and try and take the picture at the right spot. Using the auto focus when he's running and jumping means he's just out of the focus area by the time the picture takes. And it's not like I have some huge shutter delay either. It sure feels almost instantaneous once the camera locks focus.


After we had been there for a while (an hour and a half) I could tell Quinn was starting to run out of energy. That combined with the fact that there was a breeze which made it feel pretty cold when you got out of the water. So during that last adult swim Quinn was bundled up with his towel and mine trying to stay warm. I ended up just taking the hit and being cold so Quinn could use the extra towel.

I also took some non people shots while at the pool, and I think a couple of those turned out pretty good. I'll try and get some of those processed and up next week since I'm probably going to be pretty busy tomorrow with Catherine's ballet recital. Speaking of the recital, after seeing the video Ginger made of her performance last Monday (which I ended up having to miss due going to California, thanks Barry), I don't think the recital is going to go very well at all. I can tell from the video that Catherine really doesn't know the choreographed parts. It looked like she has the basic moves down, just not the when to perform them.

1 comment:

BullBunky said...

Two suggestions on your "Quinn jumping" photo. First off, have you tried your camera's "continuous focus" setting, which chooses a subject in motion and then tracks it? I've not had great luck myself, but that is the purpose of that setting. Secondly, you could manually set your aperature in advance (aperature priority) to give you a greater depth of field.

Those are worth a shot.

(Very nice shot of Quinn with the towels.)