Saturday, June 02, 2007

Swings, A Birthday, Cupcakes And The Pool


Another Saturday has come and gone. Another busy day for us here. Catherine had her hair braided for a while, then took out the braids. She really liked the resulting look and insisted on showing it off for the camera. I still haven't decided whether I like it or not yet myself, but at the same time, if she likes it, that's really all that matters.


Ginger must have read yesterday's blog entry since she decided we should go to the school near our house where there's a playground with swings and a bunch of equipment. This gave me a couple more chances to try to get that swinging shot I wanted from yesterday. They turned out better than yesterday, but it's still not exactly what I'm looking for in the shot. Catherine wasn't swinging as high as Quinn today so that's why the fence is visible in the shot with her versus the shot with Quinn.




We couldn't stay at the playground for too long. For one we had to get home to get lunch. Quinn also had a birthday party to attend today that he needed to be at by two. And since it was so hot out Catherine's face was really turning red. Not sure what's up with that but her and extreme heat evidently don't get along very well.


While Ginger took Quinn to the birthday party I tried to get Catherine to take a nap. Evidently Ginger has the magic touch with that since she would never sit still and eventually we just gave up on the idea of napping entirely and came downstairs and made cupcakes together. I let her do all the mixing of the ingredients and topping off the batter in the cups. I also let her lick the beaters which I didn't see anything wrong with since I used to do that all the time as a kid, but I thought Ginger was going to blow a gasket when I told her later in the day once her and Quinn got home. Ginger's very concerned with the prospect of getting Salmonellosis from the raw eggs. According the egg safety website I've learned that on average 1 in 20,000 eggs may contain salmonella, which puts the chance of getting it at 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). But since the cake batter needed three eggs I suppose the actual percentage is 0.015%. What I've also learned is statistics mean nothing and never do something that a mother feels may threaten their child. Which is a fancy way of saying despite the fact I personally don't think it's a big deal, I promise I won't do it again.


And we decided to cap the day off by heading by the pool later in the day for a bit. Nothing quite as eventful as yesterday occurred since we all had our pool passes with us today.

2 comments:

gaz said...

i was the same m8 - when i was a nipper i used to always run my finger round the mixing bowl and lick the wooden spoon when my mom made cakes.
i feel sorry for the generation of kids who aren't allowed to experience these little joys of childhood.
oh and ali gives me 'that look' when i let josh do the same.
so it's got raw eggs in, so sue me!

Scott said...

I put two raw egg whites into my protein smoothie every night. Ginger sounds really over-protective.