Friday, June 08, 2007

I Smell An Academy Award


And the academy award for best supporting supporting actor goes too... So Quinn performed in the opera his school put on tonight. The opera was based on Rhodopis, which is basically an Egyptian version of Cinderella. I skipped out from work this morning so I could see the dress rehearsal (since we were allowed to video tape and take photos during the rehearsal). Quinn's part was ... limited. He was the guard to a King (or someone important) and he's only in one act (there were 7 acts total). He walks on stage with the King and then stands beside him hands on hips bodyguard fashion for the next ten minutes or so. Then everyone exits the stage. No speaking lines or anything. He didn't even sing during the one group song. On the positive side, he didn't pick his nose while he was on stage. At least not during his scene. He did get a finger up there during the curtain call, but hopefully everyone was busy watching the center of the stage at that point.


I had thought there was going to be a fight scene since Quinn had told us at dinner the other night there were pirates in the play and the pirates outnumbered the guards. But alas, there was no fight scene. I have to admit, part of me started looking forward to the opera once I heard pirates would be involved, about the only thing that could have made it better at that point was if you had told they had ninjas also.


Here Quinn's leading the procession onto the stage for the king to take his place. Now I don't know about anyone else, but if the guy assigned to protect me is unarmed and significantly shorter than me, unless the dude is Wolverine, I would be worried if I was the King.


Here's Quinn on the lookout for anyone suspicious. He's just waiting for someone to slip up so he can nab them.

"How you doin'?"


During the actual performance tonight a significant number of people in the audience did not follow the rule about not taping or taking pictures, so I did take a mini movie of the act with Quinn on stage. I may put it up sometime but I need to find some way to jazz it up since it's just him standing there for the most part.

No comments: