Thursday, June 01, 2006

Unclean! Unclean!

Today was eventful. Seems Ginger woke up pretty much feeling like crap. I took care of the kids and got them to school. Ginger then went to the doctor so I also got to pick the kids up from school. Turns out Ginger has acquired a case of Pink Eye and some form of the flu. Impressive considering neither Quinn nor Catherine are sick (and lucky me, she gave me a kiss before I left with the kids this morning). She more than likely got it from Quinn's school. She went and observed Quinn yesterday and probably picked up both bugs from there.

With Ginger sick I came home to take care of the kids. Which was pretty easy while they were napping, but got significantly tougher after they got up. Really made me wish I hadn't been foolish and stayed up until 3:30 the night before watching my Netflix's movie. I watched Constantine if you're interested. Which believe or not I was actually enjoying despite him not being British and despite Keanu's 'acting'. And then the "Holy" shot gun started getting used, and I started enjoying it less. Even with that it wasn't too bad (I've seen worse movies).

The worst part of the night (for me as a parent since this pretty much proved me to be a failure) was when I took the kids to have dinner at KFC. After spending forever inside as they nibbled here and there and stalled every which way they could to keep from finishing, I decided it was time to head home. Once we got outside I unlocked the car and had Quinn start getting in (I didn't buckle him in since he can do that on his own now), and then while I was buckling in Catherine, Quinn 'saw something' and got out of the car (even though I told him not to get out of the car). Once I finished getting Catherine strapped in I walk around the car and I'm shocked. Quinn is squatting down and has picked up a half used cigarette (still lit) that someone threw down and has it in his mouth. I just about went ballistic. I can only assume he saw people doing this while we were at the fair in Vienna last weekend and must have decided it was something he wanted to imitate.

While I wasn't at work long today, I was apparently there long enough for people to quiz me on the new Batwoman. Evidently I'm known at work as the 'comic book guy'. I had several people ask me about the story running around in the press recently about the reintroduction of "Batwoman" as a "lipstick lesbian" (their words, not mine). As I told people, this is not Batgirl grown up. Batgirl was originally the niece of Batwoman, but she only appeared a couple times in the comics back in the early 60s. The more common Batgirl, as I'm sure you all remember, was Barbara Gordon. That is until Barbara was shot and paralyzed, then Barbara switched to being the computer hacker Oracle assisting heroes by providing them access to information. Oracle later joined the Justice League. And I'm sure you all remember Oracle in the failed "Birds of Prey" TV show while it was briefly on the WB, but judging by how fast it was cancelled, maybe you didn't see it (and speaking as someone that did, that's not a bad thing). The mantle of Batgirl was since taken up by the daughter of Shiva and some assassin guy named Cain, but last I heard she gave up the title and there isn't currently a Batgirl. Obviously this leaves the amount of testosterone in the Bat Family running a bit high and out of balance, so they decided to add some estrogen by reintroducing Batwoman for modern times. I'm not going to try to explain how Batwoman used to exist, but then all the stories were written off as occurring on an alternate Earth, which later would be destroyed, only to be briefly revived and then merged all into one reality wherein Batwoman no longer existed in the past but everyone remembers her (don't ask me, comics are nuts these days). Anyway, the news about the new Batwoman came out back in December in the Lying In The Gutters column, but the real press seems to have picked up the story as it is getting a fair amount of airplay in the media. One of the reasons given for the new take on the character is they're looking to create more culturally diverse characters, and therefore it was decided to make her a "lipstick lesbian". I'm sure the thought of potential sales from the typically young male demographic of comic book buyers isn't factoring into this at all, I mean after all, since they're looking for culturally diverse characters it makes perfect sense that they made her a caucasian female (maybe a character is only allowed to have one culturally diverse trait at a time). And I wonder why people think of me as the comic book guy. Hmmmm....

3 comments:

Barry said...

After reading that soliloquie, I can only think of one thing... "L"

On the cigarette butt, that's pretty gross even by standards.

Anonymous said...

Even I wouldn't touch a used butt on the ground!

-The smoking man.

P.S. Have you seen Mulder anywhere?

Curt Sawyer said...

You are so totally the comic book guy.