Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Talking Trash

Went by Home Depot on the way home and got some stuff to finish off the cabling in the attic. I picked up a combination splitter / power amplifier. The signal that goes to guest room upstairs and the master bedroom both look a lot better on the upper channels now. I also borrowed a tone tracer from work for trying to find where the heck the cable outlets in the basement that I can't find the termination points go. I managed to find one location where it comes to the storage room (the cable was hidden behind the corkboard, I would have never found it without the tracer), but I never found a termination point. The cable simply comes into the storage room and then heads off to the other outlet that doesn't have a signal going to it. So I may need to splice the wire where it enters the storage room and pump the signal into the two spliced pieces. The problem will be there's a splitter already in the storage room that's a three way. I've determined that one of the three isn't in use, but if I splice the cable I'll need two more connections (and I only have the one extra). Either that or I'll have to add another splitter, which will reduce the signal even more. I didn't really want to have to buy yet another power amplifier, but we'll see I suppose. And since one of these new locations is where I eventually want to put the cable modem I need to signal to be pretty strong. If I do get another amplifier I'm going to have to make sure it allows the signal to pass back through in the other direction also. I've got one more place I want to look to see if I can find the terminated cable (if I can find the termination, then I can simply connect the one connection from the three way splitter that currently isn't being used and life will be good), but the spot where it might be looks like it is a royal pain to get to (and may require removing some walls in the storage room to get to where the cable actually is).

Switching subjects, I'm still amazed by how quickly the kids are growing. Quinn's just growing up so fast. Tonight is trash night, and he actually wanted to take the trash out. This was the first night that he did it all by himself. Sunday night he helped me pull the trash can out, but tonight he did it solo. *sniff* They just grow up so fast.



Time For Quinn To Earn His Keep

1 comment:

Curt Sawyer said...

Yes, one day he will not enjoy that task.

At least it just goes to the curb. Growing up, it had to go to the shed, then when all 4 cans were full, they had to go onto the pickup, which had to be driven to the dump (actually a large shipping-type container near the local IGA, where an old man sat with a rooster on a leash "guarding" the place, and you had to dump all 4 cans, then take them back home, and then the process started all over again.

Ah, growing up in the country. Did I mention that our mail box was something like 100 yards from the house?

:-)