Sunday, June 04, 2006

Put Me In Coach...

We attended my company picnic today. It was held at Prince William Stadium as we watched the Potomac Nationals (Minor league - single A) (thanks to Barry for the description of the team, I stole that from him). We were over at the Bullpen picnic area. Lunch was burgers, hot dogs and pulled pork sandwiches (I'll take one of each please). The kids didn't really have anything to eat. Catherine couldn't eat anything because of her allergies, and we still can't get Quinn to eat meat that isn't a chicken nugget.

In the stands we sat with Barry and his family and Ken and his daughter Amanda. I also saw Scott and his clan nearby. Having never been a huge baseball fan, I actually learned some stuff today that's apparently suppose to be obvious. You root for the team with the colors, since the home team gets colors and the visiting team has to wear gray (props to Karen for pointing that out for me).

The picnic area had some activities for the kids like face painting and balloon animals. The lines though for each were really long. We got several of the balloon animals. Catherine initially got a butterfly, then after we got to the stands, Quinn saw Reuben and Jacob playing with the balloon snakes and decided he wanted one. Once we got him a snake balloon and got back to the stands Catherine then decided she wanted one too (but when she actually got her balloon she opted for a 'sword' instead). As you can tell, Ginger and I were divided up most of the picnic, one with each kid. About the time one of us would get to the stands, the other would take off back to the picnic area. We didn't see too much of the actual game. At one point when the sun was out for a while, Quinn's snake overheated and exploded, leaving only the eyes and the nose. I had some fun with that. Catherine's sword later would pop in the grass outside the stadium and she got really upset when that happened. Luckily we still had the buterfly balloon at that point.


The company was also giving out free tickets for the "Test Your Throwing Speed" game. We let Quinn and Catherine do that a couple of times (we waited until no one else was there). Unfortunately neither of them were able to throw it fast enough for the machine to register (or as I told them, they threw so fast the machine couldn't tell how fast it was). Quinn's throwing form leaves a bit to be desired, but Catherine seems to have pretty good form (although Quinn was able to throw it further). I took a try myself, but apparently I suck. I was only able to throw it at 47, 45 and 45 mph.




While all the baseball and activities were fun, I think Quinn had the most fun running the obstacle course provided by Yellowball. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the obstacle course (I did film the kids the first time they did it, I'll see if I can't get that available soon). The first section has you running over an inflated mattress with netting over it and balls under the netting. The second time across Quinn decided it was faster to run across this and jump off the edge rather than crawl across. The third time he went across he tripped right before the edge went off the inflatable and completely face planted on the mat at the end. All the attendants gasped in horror and start running over to him (I was on the other side, so I didn't see the actual hit, but I started around the inflatable also thinking the worst). Before anyone could get to him though Quinn was up and running like mad through the rest of the course like nothing had happened. He had me worried there for a second, but the competition factor of trying to win kept him from having time to get upset as he was racing against another kid.

We left early during the 7th inning since 1) it looked like it might start raining and 2) both the kids were getting tired. On the way home we stopped for Frosty's from Wendy's for the kids and Ginger which they ate on the way home. Then once we got home everyone took a nice well deserved nap.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I like the stop action shot of Catherine... and of course, the balloon animal!