Friday, June 16, 2006

Still Alone / Movie Reviews

Ginger and the kids were suppose to be back tonight, but Ginger had a migraine and didn't feel like making the drive, so she's spending one more night in Richmond and coming back tomorrow. What to do since I have one more night of swinging single life? Watch TV and movies! * I've been burning through watching stuff recently. I've watched Spirited Away, Punisher, The Sopranos (All of Season One), The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury, The Chronicles of Riddick and finally tonight I went through Disc 1 of Season Two of 24. Oh yeah, and I've been keeping up with the Daily Show and The Colbert Report also.

Spirited Away was pretty weak. The story is just odd and is more for kids than anything else. It was never able to make me care about what happened to the main character. Rating: "Not worth it".

Punisher was just okay. The movie couldn't decide what it was, which bothered me more than anything. Is it a dark and grim tale of tragedy? A comedy? A tale of revenge? The movie couldn't seem to pick a theme and stick to it trying to be everything and thereby never really succeeding at anything. And the ending was so over the top that I just didn't care anymore at that point. Rating: "Just okay. Glad I rented it, but having seen it now wouldn't stop to watch it if it was on TV".

The Sopranos was different. Mainly picked this up to see what all the fuss was about. Everyone keeps going on about how good it is, so I decided to check it out. Either it's really easy to do completely illegal stuff and never get caught, or this show takes a lot of liberties. The story is interesting, but convoluted at times. But the base of operations is in a strip club, so that boosted the appeal of the series right there all by itself. Rating: "Intrigued enough to continue watching and start renting season two".

The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury and The Chronicles of Riddick. Dark Fury is an animated adventure of Riddick that takes place almost immediately after Pitch Black. So if you haven't watched Pitch Black, grab that before watching these. I will say I remember I saw Pitch Black in the theater thinking it was going to be complete crap, and then liked it a lot more than I thought I would (lowered expectations when going to a movie can be a good thing). The animation of Dark Fury is... trendy is about the only word I can use to describe it. Parts are very well done, other parts have people with necks that are longer than their heads are tall. It's a very modern animation style, sort of a blending of anime and traditional realistic animation. It doesn't always work. The has bits that serve as set up to the live action film The Chronicles of Riddick. The problem being without having seen that, the references mean nothing. So it's almost better to watch the live action one then the animated. To be honest, skip the animated one. You won't miss anything. The live action The Chronicles of Riddick was an entertaining jaunt. Lots of cool special effects and Riddick kills people. Riddick in this is your typical "Tough guy" / "Badass" / "Larger than life" protagonist (hard to call him a 'hero', but he is the main character). The story is just crazy and all over the place. And for the better part of the movie the plot gets completely hijacked onto a prison planet. The fight scenes are for the most part well choreographed and even though the story gets derailed, the ending is atypical (however, it is highly predictable). Animated show rating: "Skip it". Live action rating: "Entertaining continuation of the Riddick story, good popcorn action flick".

Since I haven't watched the whole second season of 24, I'll reserve my review of that until I've finished it all.

Been forgetting to put up the pictures of the hydrangeas as they're blooming. So here's some shots to rectify that situation.






* I suppose I could do the stuff on the "Honey Do" list, but where's the fun in that?

No comments: