Saturday, June 03, 2006

Nikon D70 Problem


Not much really happened today. Took it easy for the most part. Put up the moonbounce for the kids outside so they played in that for a large part of the day. The temperature was nice, only in the 70s, so I took the time to do some more weeding out back while the kids napped. Or I should say were suppose to nap, since Quinn snuck out of his bedroom multiple times today trying to get out of taking his nap. He really needed it though, since once he did get to sleep, he slept for over a couple hours.


So I think my Nikon is having issues. I'm not even sure if it's fixible. To be honest, I don't even know where the problem is. That is I don't know whether it's with the lens or with the camera. But there are at least three spots in all my pictures that get the color distorted. And they're not insignificant either. Pre-picture shrinkage the size of the distortion is around 20x25 pixels. The spot is always at exactly the same pixels. If anyone knows what's going on, I would love to hear your theories. If you couldn't see or find the problem in the above picture, I pointed out two of the spots in the one below. The third spot is near the middle and close to the bottom, but the trees are obscuring it in this picture. I haven't gone back to older pictures yet to see if it has always been there, or if this is something new that's only recently showed up. I started noticing it in pictures after I got back from the beach. And now that I know it's there it just bugs the crap out of me because I see it all the time. The one good thing is it's only really obvious when you're shooting against a light colored background, but it's still annoying as all get out.

5 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

Try cleaning the lens. There are no-lint cloths for that.

JamesF said...

Yea, I tried cleaning the lens multiple times (I have the special cloths back from my regular SLR days). Cleaned the front and back of the lens sides of it. So if it's something on the lens, it must be on the inside of on of the pieces of glass where I can't get to it. There does appear to be one small piece of fiber or something inside of the lens that's been bugging me for a while, but it's pretty small and almost dead in the center, so it doesn't look like that one thing could account for the three distinct discolored spots. I haven't given it a really hard cleaning though, so I guess it's possible there's some small layer of gunk or something (although I thought I had looked over the lens pretty well in the light and didn't see anything).

Unknown said...

I'm not a digital guy, but that looks a whole lot like dust on your CCD.

I've linked to an article by a Nikon DSLR guy, though even he disclaims that you may not want to try cleaning your CCD at home.

Here it is

One of the non-storage and non-cashflow related issues that has kept me from getting jazzed about DSLRs is that you have to be even more careful about where and when you change lenses than with a film SLR (and I'm pretty conservative with lens changes.)

Curt Sawyer said...

Hope Steve's comment helps. At first glance, the issue in the article he links to seems to be exactly what you are experiencing.

JamesF said...

Yep, I agree. Thanks for having him take a peek.

Now it just looks like I have to find a way to clean the device Nikon tells you not to clean (In North America and Europe anyway, apparently in Japan they actually sell a cleaning kit).