Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Open Wide

Quinn had a dentist appointment today. I asked him how it went and he said "Good". Which in and of itself I found odd since all of his dentist appointments in the past have been horrible when they have to take his X-Rays. So I asked Ginger about it, and apparently there were no X-Rays taken this time, which explains why he didn't mind the visit. Ginger also told me that he kept sneaking out during his appointment. See, there's a Nintendo 64 in the lobby and when left unattended Quinn would sneak out of his chair and head out to the lobby to start playing the Nintendo. Ginger said that they came out to the lobby three separate times looking for him. To which I was thinking, what are they doing that they're leaving him alone for that long and why isn't there someone keeping an eye on him in there? You might wonder why Ginger and Catherine weren't in the room with him. After the last couple of visits when the screaming started during the X-Rays the dentist basically wouldn't let us in the room anymore. They claim this is because they think our presence was making the situation worse, but I think it's because they didn't want us to see the them physically assaulting him and holding him down while forced the X-Ray stuff into his mouth (I still have nightmares in which I recall the screams I heard from the lobby, "The horror... The horror...").

Anyway, I used to attend the dentist visits, but once we were banned from being in the room I didn't see a whole lot of point in leaving work and driving over there so I could hang out in the lobby. I think everything on this trip was good. And Quinn claims he didn't have any cavities, but I probably should follow up with Ginger to see what they really said. The good news is it seems like the tooth he hit really hard a couple of years ago is regaining some of it's color. I remember at one point they were really worried the nerves were dead and it was going to fall out prematurely (apparently even though you eventually lose your baby teeth, there was some issue with losing them too soon).

When I got home everyone was inside and Ginger was cooking dinner (steak tacos) and Catherine was helping. Quinn and I went outside to play for a bit and eventually Catherine came out to join us. Quinn played some baseball, soccer and then 'hockey' while Catherine spent the entire time digging the in mulch making 'birthday cakes'. I could tell Quinn was pretty tired even when we were playing because little things were setting him off and had a couple of minor meltdowns for silly reasons. Unfortunately even though we tried to get him to bed a little earlier than usual, he as still awake when I checked in on him around 10.


No comments: