Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Over The Hill


That's right, I'm officially over the hill as of today. I would like to thank all the well wishes I got. John being the first who chimed in over GTalk at 12:07 AM. The kids and Ginger making a big deal about it this morning. The various IMs while at work. Rob and Gretchen for getting the cake at work. The singing voicemail from Richmond. The calls from Waynesboro. And the comment to a post from Curt wherever he is off on travel at this time. I'll even include Nana on the list for driving 6 plus hours just to have lunch (which I still think was over the top and unnecessary). Did I forget anyone? What's that sound? Music? Guess the academy wants to me to stop thanking people and move on with the post.




Sadly because of the long lunch I ended up staying at work longer than I anticipated and didn't get home as early as I should have. This meant I wasn't there for the meal that Ginger prepared and the subsequent cake (if this has the sound of I managed to get into trouble even on my birthday, you would be correct). Luckily I have photos of the kids taking care of blowing out my candles for me. Because that's exactly what you want, the kid that was just sick blowing all over your cake. I kid, I wasn't there, so someone had to step up so they could have the cake and Quinn volunteered.


I did show up just after cake had been served (at least I think it was just after since the kids hadn't finished their cake yet). The kids gave me some drawings they had made for me as presents. And in addition I got two new Wii games. One was the Complete Lego Star Wars saga. The other was Kabookie. That's a Cranium game that looks like a family party game even though it only uses one remote.

And in case people are wondering Catherine was home again today since she had a mild fever. She actually likes being sick because she knows that means sitting on the couch and watching TV. In fact last night she was looking forward to the idea of being sick since she was yelling "Daddy, I'm sick!" with exuberance. As for Quinn, he had an interesting day at school. He searched for fossils today in ... (wait for it) ... owl poop. That's right, he dug through crap to look for bones. And here's the part I don't get, in his mind this was exciting and cool. Oh yea, and he brought the bones home. Good times...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, let me chime in to wish you a happy, if belated birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! :)

gaz said...

the big 4-0 eh!
as george burns once said...
"you can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."

Curt Sawyer said...

I'm here, along with 5 inches of ice and snow on the ground.

Buddy Tignor said...

Happy Belated B-Day man!!

Barry said...

Happy Birthday. You don't a look a day older 45.

Scott said...

oy! happy birthday! do you now have to buy a candy apple red corvette to start your midlife crisis?

The Dogfather said...

Sorry but tradition dictates...

You're *40*?!?!?!

(Has it really been 10 years already?)
Happy birthday. (yeah yeah the comment is late.)

BullBunky said...

Heh, the hill photograph is fantastic...and quite sad at the same time. I love it.

And LEGO Star Wars ROCKS.

Anonymous said...

don't forget all the balloons your mom sent to you at work.