Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Inspection Answer

This one only affects people in VA in the Northern VA area evidently. From the VA State Police website's FAQ:
What is the cost of a safety inspection?
The cost is $16.00 for a motor vehicle. This also applies to all trailers (including semi-trailers). The cost is $12.00 for a motorcycle. The cost is $51.00 for a tractor-trailer.

Attention to Persons Residing in the Northern Virginia Area:
Effective January 1, 2008, the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) is permitted to charge an additional $10.00 for vehicles inspected in Northern Virginia. Fees will be collected in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William; as well as in the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas and Manassas Park.

So it looks like the cost did go up by $10 for this area. Had I known that was going to happen I might have gotten my car inspected early and done it back in December.

4 comments:

Buddy Tignor said...

It just stinks how much cars cost to operate these days. We live in an area with almost no usable public transportation, but I have hopes for the day when there might be an alternative to a personal car for rainy cold days.

The bicycle works on nice days, but even that has its drawbacks, with all the folks who insist on driving the windy back roads, while eating, while talking on the cell phone, while discipling their kids...etc.

Curt Sawyer said...

Try living in NYC. I pay more to park my car here per month than my college apartment's monthly rent.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there an article in the paper about how this wasn't constitutional?

The Virginia Supreme Court overturned a landmark measure designed to relieve traffic congestion in Northern Virginia, saying it was unconstitutional to create a regional transportation authority last year to levy taxes. That means that the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority can't finance more than $300 million a year in regional highway and transit projects, including work on the Fairfax County Parkway and the Prince William Parkway.

(use bugmenot.com for recycled logins)


I wonder if you can get your $10 back.

JamesF said...

I had not heard that about the ruling, but if you find out there is a way to get money back, let me know (I just have to remember where I put the receipt now).

But considering that article is dated March 2nd it sounds like it might have just been overturned after I got my inspection (lucky me). And I'm sure there will be an appeal, and then probably another appeal, and then probably one more for good measure. So it might be summer or later before the issue finally gets decided and I may or may not be able to get my $10 back.