Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Return Of The Ring


We had the kids play outside some today since it was so nice out. Plus this might be the last time they can play outside for a while without really having to start bundling up. As you can see above, I doctored up another photo of Quinn using his Green Lantern ring. When I mentioned to him I was going to do that, he suggested I make a picture showing him using the ring to create a NASCAR race car. Right, like that should be really easy to photoshop up. I did try and get some pictures with both Quinn and Catherine using their rings together, but none of those turned out the way I wanted. So I may and try and get one of just Catherine tomorrow.

I watched Kaena: The Prophecy tonight. It's pretty bad. I admit it, I got completely fooled by the cover art. I saw the art for it and thought "that looks pretty cool." So the whole never judge a movie by it's cover art is very appropriate in this case. It's anime, but it's all 3D computer animation. The problem is, the animation isn't that good. It sort of has the look of those cheap computer animated shows that were on Saturday mornings about five years ago when CGI was all the rage. Plus it puts a severe hurting on the DVD player at times since there are several scenes where the update rate just slows to a crawl. To add insult to injury, the story isn't even that good. And for the first half of the movie, the main character is running around in leather Prince style ass-less pants which just feels gratuitous.

3 comments:

Scott said...

How did you do the ring effect? Really cool looking.

"ass-less" pants: I hope the main character in this movie was at least a woman. Then it would be somewhat worth it.

JamesF said...

I used Gimp and used the supernova effect. But since the supernova effect completely overpowers the pictures, I took the main image, copied it into a second layer, used supernova filter effect on the bottom layer, then changed the transparency on the top level to see through to the effect and then flattened the image. The longest part of the process was going through the various filter effects looking for an appropriate one. Digital image manipulation still isn't something that comes naturally to me.

And the main character in the movie was a teenage female, which is why I think it was gratuitous.

Scott said...

Excellent job on the effect.

Can I borrow that movie?