Friday, October 06, 2006

BSG Premiere


Tonight was the premiere of the third season of Battlestar Galactica. Unfortunately Ginger had some stuff recording on the TiVo tonight, so Battlestar Galactica didn't start recording until it's second run (which was around 11). And since Ginger said Ken and Amanda are coming over tomorrow morning, not watching the premiere tonight wasn't really an option since Ken has a habit of sometimes spoiling stuff (to his credit, he's gotten a lot better recently). So that's my excuse for why I was up till all hours of the night watching television. It wasn't just because I wanted to watch it, nope, that wasn't it at all. Did I mention the premiere was two hours long and I didn't actually start watching it until close to midnight?

I will do my best not to have any actual spoiler information here, but I will talk around several things that happen in the episode. Having said that, if you haven't watched the premiere yet (and you're planning on watching it), continue reading at your own risk.

When I started watching and they showed Saul, it reminded me that I hadn't finished watching the Wedisodes. So I had to pause it and head down to the computer and crank out the last couple of webisodes I had yet to watch. After having watched them, I can say there I'm not sure I would have really missed out on anything had I not watched them. They provide some background motivation for a couple of characters, but nothing that you wouldn't have been able to pick up and figure out after watching the TV episode.

I'm still trying to determine whether I liked tonight's episode or not. It's definitely different. It feels really different than what they were doing before. The thing is, I have no doubt they'll eventually return to the previous status quo, but at present I don't see how they can do that and have it make sense. The Human / Cylon relationship seems to have a different dynamic associated with it now.

Speaking the Human / Cylon dynamic, I was more than a little disappointed with the Cylons new method for interacting with humans. Seems like if they really did want a peaceful coexistence there were better ways to go about it. I do like the idea now that the Cylons are trying (in their mind) to save the humans. This in my mind will go a long way towards easing my concerns about how the humans can keep from being completely wiped out.

And I really didn't like the tactics the resistance started using, although it's sure to stir up a debate on the issue if nothing else. Basically after this, I have no idea who the good guys are and who the bad guys are anymore.

1 comment:

mattfite said...

yay! BSG is back. [this comment so passionately proves that i'm such a nerd]

I'll go ahead and say I like it. I'm a complete fanboy, and therefore think that Ronald D. Moore has really taken the series in a smart direction.

I didn't watch the webisodes, and I'm glad I didn't. I think it's also smart to show complete phase-shifts in character and let the audience figure it out for themselves (think Adama and his new BFF).

at present I don't see how they can do that and have it make sense... I have no idea who the good guys are and who the bad guys are anymore.

I suppose that's part of the point. I applaud the moral ambiguity that's presented -- and can empathize with the oppressed. Certainly, it's a sensitive point as I recognize that I'm cheering on the BSG insurgency from the safety of my apartment, after reading daily of reports of non-fictional insurgents and those that live with this every day.

Bottom line: He, Moore, chose to take this chase series in a hard direction: expose cylons that are both sympathetic and despicable, and present our protaganists in a plight of survival. yay!