Thursday, October 12, 2006

New Video Card Installed And Running

I went out and bought an el-cheapo graphics card today since my old one burnt to a crisp. I got a GeForce FX 5200. It was around $80 and seems to do most of what I want it to do. There's even a $20 rebate I can send in, but I refuse to subtract the rebate from the price until I have the rebate in my hand. I've had too many rebates never show up to think the cost is really $20 less at this point. I haven't tried putting the card through it's paces by exercising it with intense games or anything, but I did try it with the old Diablo2 DirectX stuff and it seemed to be fine. To be honest, I haven't been playing as many computer games recently as I had in the past, so maybe I don't need all that horsepower anymore. I mean really, beside web browsing, blogging, Sudoku and photo manipulation, I rarely use the computer for much anymore. I still plan on buying a better performing video card in the near future, but it had been so long since I bought one, evidently all the hardware had completely changed. Nowadays card are all using this PCI-Express interface, which my motherboard doesn't have (so that tells you how old my motherboard is). I like how every 3 to 4 years they just completely change the connectors on the boards so that there's no possible way to upgrade without upgrading everything. Nice racket they have there.

And speaking of photo manipulation. If you want to see yet another version of the Quinn / Lantern / NASCAR picture that Buddy made, click this link. And in the interest of equal time, here's a photo of Green Lantern Catherine who looks like she's ready to kick some alien butt. This should prove once and for all that I'm terrible at this digital photo manipulation stuff.


3 comments:

Scott said...

I like the effect on C anyway... it's a cool picture, and reminds me of my favorite manipulation of Luke.

Unknown said...

Unrelated to the post, but interesting Battlestar Galactica article here.

JamesF said...

I didn't read the whole article since it had some info from tonight, but the part I did read was what I was referring to last week when I said that after the premiere, I no longer really know who the good guys are suppose to be at this point. I don't care how good the show is, portraying suicide bombing of civilian targets as a legitimate means to an end is questionable at best and really questions who the 'good guys' are. I have to assume the decision to draw that parallel was deliberate, but at present, I don't see where they're going with it.