Sunday, July 02, 2006

Super Sunday

Didn't do a lot today. Once we got home from church it was pretty obvious the kids were still tired from the previous days. In the afternoon when they napped I ran out to the pet store and bought some accessories for the fish tank. Once I got back and the kids were awake, the weather outside wasn't conducive to playing outside. The weather was weird, when I was at the store just about a mile away from our house, it was pouring rain, but when I got home, it hadn't rained here at all. Very odd.

Tonight Ginger and I went to see Superman Returns with Ben. No spoilers revealed here, so don't worry if you haven't seen it. Ginger now claims she will never go see a movie with me again because at the end of the movie I started pointing out the parts I didn't like, especially the parts where I thought physics had simply been ignored or where things happen to put people into situations merely to advance the plot and would never happen in real life. Overall I would rate the movie as a solid B+ I think. I didn't think it was as good as either of the recent Spider-Man movies. It was better than Fantastic Four, but not as good as Batman Begins (even though I hated Katie Holmes in Batman Begins). Plus it was kind of slow, but it probably feels that way due to it running two and a half hours (and that's cut down I hear from the first pass of the movie which was three hours, thereby pretty much assuring there will be a director's cut in the future). Spacey did a really good job as Luthor. In fact, I liked his take of the character maybe better than anyone else's in the movie. Wasn't really fond of the actress they had for Lois (Bosworth). Routh does admiral as Superman and feels as if he's channeling Christopher Reeves, which I think is both good and bad. Story / plot is where the movie falters I think, execution is done very well.

I may just give up pretending I'm going to get the scanner working and just continue posting pictures of older pictures since I've once again not gotten the scanner working (not because I couldn't, but because I never even tried). The first picture is Jenn in what appears to be my old apartment in Sterling. I have no clue what it is she's doing, although clearly we think there's something appealing about it since we're imitating it later (which may be at Ginger's house in Richmond, but I really can't tell).



4 comments:

Barry said...

We may see Superman tonite. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! James- these pictures are of us imitating the IN LIVING COLOR skit "Head Detective - where Damon Wayans portrays a police detective who, due to a horrific accident, is merely a head attached to a pair of feet and tiny hands and appearing similar to Mr. Potato Head. Along with his full-bodied partner (played by Keenen Ivory or Marlon Wayans), he solves crimes."

I can't believe how silly we were...please don't show my kids :)

BullBunky said...

Jen...I'm just scared that you remember that skit :)

Barry said...

Well, I saw Superman and liked it a lot. I definitely agree with you on the new guy channeling Reeves. When the new guy says "Goodnight Lois", he's a dead ringer for Reeves.

The story is weak, so I don't think it will be a lasting classic. It was however very fun to watch and didn't seem long even though it was 2.5 hours.