Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It's Who You Know

As reader may remember, I ran a little run in with the law not too long ago. I was ticked for a while, then I got over it. Then I proceeded to completely forget about it. And that includes taking care of the ticket and paying it. So imagine my surprise when last week as we're driving down to NC on our vacation, Ginger mentions that the court date is coming up soon. We both say we should remember to take care of that as soon as we get down there. Once we're there I promptly forgot about it again, but remembered on Monday while I was at the beach. And then forgot again by the time we returned to the house. But luckily I remembered on Tuesday night after the kids had gone to bed. So I start clicking around on the web trying to find how to look up my ticket and pay for it. I finally find it online, but the court date is scheduled for 9:30 AM Wednesday. No problem, I'll pay online and be done with it. Here's the kicker, online payments need to be made at least two days prior to the court date in order for it to be processed in time.

So now I'm really in a bit of a pickle. As I was talking it over with Ginger, it was sounding like the only option I had was going to be driving the 5 and a half hours back to attend the court date or simply skip the court date and maybe take a trip to the big house (or get my license suspended or something). But before I committed to driving back, I figured on a long shot I would get a bit of legal advice. So I called Frank (he's my Uncle who happens to be a lawyer). And after quizzing me for a couple of minutes he jots down the case number and tells me not to worry about it, that he'll take care of it and get the case continued. Woooo. Let me just give the man props. He managed to get the case continued after I told him about it even though the court time was 9:30 AM the next morning. That pretty much single handedly saved my vacation. I was sure at one point I was going to have to be driving for 11 hours on Wednesday, which would have put a definite crimp in my week.

2 comments:

BullBunky said...

Wouldn't it be a bit sad to get arrested, because you were late for McDonald's hash browns?

The Dogfather said...

That would be a McTragedy. Maybe a McShame. Although... some of us would see it as McFunny.

OK ok.
I'll McShutup now.