Monday, July 10, 2006

Beach Fun Day 1

Long day today. Started with us going to the beach for 'a few minutes'. This turned into over an hour stay. Because I had driven everyone to the beach, then took the car back, I missed some pretty exciting stuff according to Ginger. The kids were apparently sitting in the sand letting the waves roll over them. That's a sight I would have loved to have seen.


Once I did get there Quinn and I played in the waves some. I tried to get Catherine to come out also, but she was too busy digging to even consider it. The beach was a lot more crowded than it was the last time we were here. But I guess that's the whole difference between preseason and in season.

After that we all came back to have lunch. From there, it was spending some time in the pool at the house. This led us to finding out that the pool in the back is a 'salt water' pool. What the heck? Seriously, who thought that was a good idea.

After that we walked into town for a bit to buy some stuff, then it was back to the house for the kids to take a nap. I got to have a fun talk with John while the kids napped. He was telling me how he liked some of the recent pictures of the kids (high praise indeed coming from John), but just wait till he sees the ones I took today. I'm thinking he may change his mind. Here's the deal, I'm taking pictures with a built in level in the background (the water level on the horizon). So why is it that so many of my shots are at such odd angles. You would think the ocean horizon was like 30 degrees based on some of my shots.


Once the kids woke up, we took everyone to the beach. Before we went, we asked Quinn if he needed his bathing suit on. He absolutely assured us that he didn't because he wasn't going to be going into the water. I think we were there for 15 minutes before Quinn was walking into the waves. That'll teach to me to trust the decision making capabilities of a 5 year old in the future. Quinn's also getting much bolder. He was going out further and further into the water, and would have been swept over by a huge wave had I not been there to grab him. Unfortunately while I managed to keep Quinn from taking the brunt of the wave, I wasn't so lucky and got completely soaked. Catherine on the other hand spent the entire time she was there digging and putting sand into a bucket filled with water (which eventually became a bucket filled with wet sand and a little bit of water).




John has mentioned in one of his posts that in this age of digital photography, he was worried that the silly pictures or the mistake pictures might never be seen again. Well, he needn't worry overly much, we've got the situation covered. We still manage to get some silly photos every now and then. The photo of me was taken by Quinn. It takes just about all my strength and courage to hand him the digital camera and let him hold it and take a picture while over sand.

We stayed at the beach until after 8, then eventually made our way back home to have dinner and eventually got the kids to bed much much later than we would have liked. While we were eating dinner (pizza delivered) I noticed the moon was just coming up and decided to try some shots here with the air a bit cleaner and clearer than it might be at home (what, you thought when I said I was done with this experiment before I actually meant it, obviously you haven't been paying attention). I'm still looking to get a shot of it when it's orange or something just as it's coming up over the horizon, but the cloud cover has made that a bit difficult (plus I think I'm at the weather's whim for the moon to actually have that yellow look as it's coming up).

No comments: