Sunday, July 16, 2006

Recovering


Today was pretty much a do nothing day. I think all we accomplished was going out to eat lunch and buying some minimal groceries at the store. Other than that everyone was still recovering from the long week and catching up on some much needed rest. Besides, it's not like we could do much in the heat outside anyway. It was registering 113 in the sun today. It still wasn't as bad as yesterday in NC where it was humid and hot. You got drenched in sweat as soon as you stepped outside. I hear today was suppose to be a record breaking temperature day, which beats the record set on this day last year. It's sure it's just a coincidence that all the hottest temperatures are in the last couple years.

We tried to have steaks on the grill tonight, but the tank ran out of propane. The last time I used the grill was when we had everyone up for the mini Tech reunion, so it's good that it didn't run out during that.

So last night as I was driving back and everyone else in the car was asleep I had the opportunity to do some thinking. And it was about pop culture references. If Quinn or Catherine lose at a game, and I say "Here, have a lifesaver", they'll have no clue what that means (other than wonder why I'm offering them a flotation device). I'm wondering how many of those type commercial taglines have already vanished from today's general knowledge.

"Ancient Chinese secret, huh?"
"You're soaking in it"
"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature"
"They work hard, so you don't have to"
"Plop plop. Fizz Fizz"
"How many licks does it take to get the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?"
"It's the quicker picker upper" (people probably think this is a drug these days)
"Where's the Beef?"
"Trust me!"
"Yes I am!"

I'm sure there are others that I'm not remembering. Strangely some TV show taglines of the same timeframe have become iconic in a way. Such as "Dyn-o-mite", "What you talkin' about Willis?" and "Shuzam".

1 comment:

Curt Sawyer said...

Perhaps we cooked too many hot dogs that night! Used up all the gas!!

"BBIJ"
"BHH"
"Death Eating a Cracker"

Wait, those are all our old college expressions...