Friday, July 28, 2006

Man Down! I Mean, Boy Gone!

Grammy left today. For some crazy reason we let Quinn return to Richmond with her for a couple of days. I debated long and hard about that decision. See, I only get to see the kids on the weekends, and last weekend my Mom was up, so I really didn't get to see him (since he always wants to do stuff with her, I'm old news when relatives are in town). So this will be two weekends in a row that I haven't been able to really spend any time with him. It's strange, when he's here, Quinn has the ability to get on my every last nerve. And yet now that he's not here, I'm going to miss his antics. On the positive side, it will give me one on one time with Catherine. Too bad all she wants to do these days is play Princess stuff all the time. I try and get around this by having the Toy Story alien guys interact with them: "Oh Princess, you have been choosen".


When I got home Catherine was still asleep and Ginger was reupholstering the chairs I hate. Ginger really likes these chairs, but I think they're hideous. They're not overly comfortable and the upholstery they came with was horrible (left side). Well, the upholstery is better now (right side). I still don't like the metal part of the chairs, but they're better now than they used to be. Props to Ginger for doing all this upholstery by herself.

We did get to talk to Quinn on the phone tonight. Catherine made sure she got to talk with him too and told him some of the stuff she had done since he had been gone. When I talked to Quinn he told me about some of what he had done. Unfortunately I couldn't really understand a word he said. Luckily Ginger was on the line also and translated since she had already talked to him and knew what he was saying. You think you know English until you have kids and they start talking, then you realize that as their parents you're probably the only people on planet that has a shot at interpreting exactly what they're saying, and sometimes, not even then. It really is an art.




Lastly, as the sun was setting tonight it resulted in some really interesting shades and patterns. I tried capture it, and even though I got this, it really doesn't do justice to how the sky actually looked. And for the record, these shots have not been altered or adjusted at all except for resizing them.

2 comments:

mattfite said...

nice sunset. i know what you mean about 'isn't doing it justice'. i've been trying to take some sunsets over the mississippi river - they're quite beautiful - the sunsets, not my photos. but it's so hard to capture what you're seeing.

one question: are you capturing these with auto exposure?

JamesF said...

Yea, for that one I think everything was on auto, including the EV setting. I typically don't mess too much with manual stuff unless I'm changing the shutter speed.