Sunday, April 30, 2006

Brake... BRAKE!!!!


This picture isn't from today, it's from yesterday. The kids ate lunch outside before we went off on our big all day bicycle adventure.

Today however started with Ginger deciding we should try breakfast at (Old) McDonald's before church. During the course of the morning it became pretty apparent that Catherine has some type of minor virus (coughing, runny nose) so she wasn't going to be able to go to church (and she probably won't be attending school tomorrow either). So after we finished breakfast we dropped Ginger and Catherine off back home and Quinn and I headed to church by ourselves. After church we came back home and Quinn immediately wanted to ride his bike. But I convinced him we needed to eat lunch first.

So after a quick lunch we were all outside and did one more task before moving on to the bikes. We transplanted all the plants the kids were growing into the new bigger pots. I'm pretty sure when all is said and done I'll have killed probably half of the plants I was responsible for transplanting. Once we finished with the plants, the kids got to ride their bikes. It went better than I was expecting to be honest. They had some trouble initially with getting up the slope of the driveway, but eventually they were able to do that by themselves. And there were also some issues with going down the slope on the driveway and stopping at the bottom (luckily we were able to catch them when they were out of control). Eventually they mostly learned the art of braking though.




After a bit of practice on the driveway we let them take a shot at driving around the cul de sac. I actually managed to break Quinn's bike already. He didn't want to ride over a section of the street and I foolishly tried to show him how. Who knew those weight limits for the bikes were real. Luckily it was only the pedal that broke, and I was able to bend it mostly back into position, although it's got a nice crack in it now (I'll have to see about getting a replacement part for that I suppose). Bike riding took up the majority of the afternoon, until it was nap time, and then after nap they went out and rode some more. So the initial thought is they like the bikes.



1 comment:

Barry said...

Nice bikes. We're about to go the tricycle route next month; my parents bday gift to the boys.