Friday, April 07, 2006

The Damage

Looks like fixing the car is going to cost me. Apparently the coolant temperature sensor died, which caused coolant to get into the electronic harness and the electronic control panel and now all three need to be replaced. I asked how this could happen that quickly since the light just came on yesterday. The reason is apparently that the light is because of the control module, and the coolant sensor probably has been broken for a while. There's apparently no warning if the coolant sensor dies. I mentioned that seemed like a design flaw, but the guy didn't really care. Total cost is going to be like 3.5k (My Heart! This is the big one! Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join you!). And it gets better. They have to special order one of the parts from Germany. So it won't even be fixed until sometime next week at the earliest. *sigh*

3 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

Does anyone other than me actually get the Sanford and Son reference? And what make of car do you have? I apparently want to avoid that manufacturer like the plague.

JamesF said...

Volkswagon. Passat specifically.

Pretty sure I wouldn't buy another one. It's a really nice low end luxury type car, but they don't seem to be manufactored well for long term (first 3 or 4 years were pratically problem free except for a recall or two). And I'm not one to buy a new car every couple years, I like buying one and running it into the ground over the course of like 6-8 years.

Cordell said...

Get a ford and be done with it! woohoo!