Wednesday, April 05, 2006

We Understand...

So I heard back from Google in regards to the video uploading and having it go to the wrong account. This was the email I got (with the email account names scrubbed to A and B)

Thanks for your email. We understand that you have two separate Google Account logins. We also understand that you uploaded videos from account A, but were only able to see them when you logged in to your B account.

It sounds as if you may have actually been logged in to B account, since uploaded videos are associated with the email address used when uploading. Please try uploading a test video from your A account, and if you continue to experience this issue, please reply to this email and we'd be happy to investigate further.

In general, videos are associated with the email address used when they were uploaded. We are aware of an issue that occurs if a Google Account login has been updated to a new email login, but in this case, it sounds as if your two logins are two separate Google accounts.

Now I can't be 100 percent positive, but I think I've just been told that I'm crazy and making stuff up. So I ran my own test again. I logged into account B with IE. I used the "Remember Me On This Computer" option. I closed the browser. In fact, I closed all my browsers. I started up the Google Video Upload program. I logged in using email account A, and uploaded a small video. I quit the upload program. I checked my videos under account A, and the video wasn't there, but lo and behold if I logged into account B, there's the video.

Here's what I understand. I understand there's a bug in the video upload program. I went ahead and sent them my test and the results. Not sure if they'll even respond of if I'll just get another "We don't believe you" response.

So if you're having trouble uploading videos to Google and they appear to fail, or rather they seem to be missing once you upload them, then if you have multiple email accounts, look under the videos for the other account. It may be there. I was able to figure out a work around for this bug. If you "Sign Out" of gmail / Google via the browser before closing it, then the video upload will actually upload to the account you use for login verification.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I'm 100% positive they think your an idiot. (Which, of course, you're not.)

It reminds me of the Dilbert where he's calling some tech support line from home to fix his PC. The guy on the phone gives him some stupid advice like reboot the machine, and the picture shows Dilbert laying on the couch with a coffee cup on his chest, and he says, "OK. I did it. What's next?"

JamesF said...

I've done that. It was with Comcast back in the day when they sucked. The connection would just constantly drop, made playing any online game impossible. When I contacted "Tech Support" the woman wouldn't listen to me when I explained what the problem was and insisted that I need to do stuff like clean out my cached internet files (even though the games I was playing didn't use a browser, she was positive this was going to fix the problem). So I sat there not doing anything saying, "Yep, tried that, doesn't seem to help." Had to do that for like 5 minutes before I finally got handed off to a level 2 tech who was much more competent. I remember back then even starting conversations with "I need to talk to the next level of tech support." And they would still make me wade through their crap first.