Monday, May 01, 2006

More Biking


Since Catherine was sick yesterday, we let her sleep in this morning, so she didn't go to school. Although she probably should have since she's not showing any signs of being sick at the moment (which is more than I can say for Ginger, who has the whole headache, running nose and sneezing thing going on now). I left work a bit late tonight, and to top it off I had to make a grocery store run for dinner since Ginger wasn't feeling up to full blown cooking, so I didn't get to do a lot with the kids. Quinn managed to drag me out front so that he could ride his bike for a bit though. So far so good, he's still interested in it. Oh yea, and he managed to run his bike into my car at one point (luckily he wasn't going fast enough at the time to do any serious damage). I let Quinn ride up the street and then back to the house (I was there beside him as he went). He can actually get some speed going (to the point where I had to do a serious jog to keep up with him). Which of course worries me about that inevitable first major wipeout. Part of the reason that bothers me is I got a concussion when I was young from a biking accident. Back then you didn't have foam padding and stuff around the metal bars on your bike. You rode a death machine and you liked it. And helmets? We didn't need no stinkin' helmets (they definitely weren't required by law back then). Luckily I didn't suffer any lasting effects from the concussion. But part of the reason that bothers me is I got a concussion when I was young from a biking accident. Back then you didn't have foam padding and stuff around the metal bars on your bike. You rode a death machine, and you liked it. And helmets? We didn't need no stinkin' helmets (they definitely weren't required by law back then). Luckily I don't think I suffered any lasting effects from the concussion. *

Catherine decided she didn't need to come out and stayed inside and played. Once Quinn came inside I went out back and tried clearing a little more of the bushes and stuff. The turtle was still there, albeit in a different spot (not surprising since I had uncovered his hiding spot last night).


* and yes, that was a long way to go for a joke that wasn't that funny

3 comments:

Scott said...

I guess the jury's still out on the "lasting effects."

Barry said...

Maybe the concussion explains those terrible jokes ;-)

JamesF said...

See, now that's funny.