Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Artsy Never Seems To Work For Me

So now that Daylight Savings Time is here, you would think I would be home playing with the kids more. Not yet. Last night it was the rain and getting Ginger's car. Tonight it was me cranking away at work not knowing what time it was because after all, it couldn't possibly be time to leave yet, the sun was still out. I'll figure it out eventually.

Once I got home, the kids were working on puzzles in the living room with Ginger. Only Quinn wanted to go outside and play. Catherine wanted to stay inside and play more puzzle, and then I believe she was playing with her 'computer' (which is actually a LeapPad Learning System) while Quinn and I were outside.

Quinn did his normal hyperactive thing outside and switched from activity to activity in less time than I could follow. First it was scootering, then pretending to snowboard, then we played some badminton. He was doing pretty good hitting the shuttlecock in badminton. After that it was to the backyard to check to see if the brick was still there (surprise, it was).

While I was outside I tried taking some artsy photos. None of the photos ended up the way I envisioned they would when I took them though. Not sure what I was looking for with this tree shot. Something close to this, but different. And the sunset picture looked much more impressive in real life, with the rays of sunlight streaming up in beams out of the clouds while the clouds almost obscured the setting sun. Unfortunately the beams didn't translate well at all. You can kind of see them there, but nothing like what it actually looked like. Also, after seeing actual picture, the tree line makes it look like the shot was taken at an angle, when it was really a straight vertical shot. It's possible I was augmenting the image in my head from what was actually there though allowing me a glimpse of what I wanted to see rather than what reality actually was.

I decided to finally put it to the test and see what the difference is in the maximum zoom between my two lenses. So I took a shot of the moon with both. Neither shot is particular great, but this was more for comparison purposes that actually getting a good shot. The Sigma lens does allow me a fair bit more zoom, but seems to have a yellowie tint to it (the Sigma photo was taken maybe 5 minutes after the the photo with the Nikon lens). Both images are actual pixels and haven't been blown up or shrunk.

1 comment:

BullBunky said...

So many juicy bits to enjoy on this one. Thanks! I think your "artsy" photos are fun and colorful. I'm not certain that a photo should always mirror reality; I think it should be your interpretation of reality :)

The moon shots are really fun. The clarity is quite good for that type of shot. I mean, they are always less crisp than you like, because you are shooting through so much air. Still, the detail is better than I would have expected.