Monday, April 10, 2006

Cats And Chinese Food

Let's see. No one here but me. What to post about. Hmmm. Oh yea, I have cats!


This is Cynthia. Cynthia is the first cat I got once I moved up to the Northern Virginia area. I got her after being here for 6 months (late 91). She was a stray (runt more than likely) that showed up in our garage at my house back in Waynesboro. She's the hunter of the group. She's single pawedly taken down several mice. That reason alone goes a long way toward explaining why we still have cats even though Quinn is allergic to them.


This is Emily. She's hanging out at her favorite place, her food dish. Emily was another stray. But not from Waynesboro. This was a stray that Ginger found in Richmond in the middle of the road (I don't know the exact time, but I think it's late 92 or early 93). Ginger was still living with her parents at this point, so keeping Emily wasn't an option. Somehow I let her talk me into taking her (love makes you do stupid things). The deal was I would take care of her, but she was Ginger's cat. I should reiterate that, she's Ginger's cat. I was living with Curt and John at the time, so after getting their approval I ended up with guardianship of Emily. She wasn't a bad cat, until she got really really sick with an extremely high temperature and suffered what probably was brain damage. Curt nicknamed her "Lumpy Pukes A Lot" since she had (has) a habit of inhaling her food without chewing, then puking it up and the wanting more to eat.


This is Doobie, the youngest of the bunch. He's another stray. We found him hiding out in an old barn in the outskirts of Waynesboro one year when Ginger and I were attending my ten year high school reunion (so sometime in 96). And yes, that's right, my high school reunion was in a run down barn out in the middle of nowhere. I can't imagine why I don't boast about this type of stuff more often. The plan was originally to paw(n) him off on my friend John. The problem was John was going to be out of town for two weeks, so we had to keep him until then. Since this was in 96 it was after Ginger and I had gotten married, but pre-kids. After taking care of him for a week, it was pretty obvious Ginger had gotten attached to him, so he ended up sticking around.

And finally to round things out, here's what I had for dinner tonight (I'm sure you wondering how the Chinese food was going to play into this). After dinner I went to a movie with Ben and saw "V For Vendetta". Despite the fact (or maybe because of it) I had never seen the comic book, I actually enjoyed the movie. Some of the dialog goes a little too quick in my mind since Alan Moore usually has double and triple meaning in most of his dialog. Although since Alan Moore had his name completely removed from the movie, it's hard to say how much of it is from the source material. I think I'll try and get the trade paperback at some point though. I remember when it first came out that I wasn't too enamored with it, but that could have been because it's heavily ladened with underlying political aspects which were beyond me back then (hey, I was only 14 at the time).


Oh yea, and there's the small matter that I accidently trashed Ginger's car this morning by having a can of coke explode inside of it, but really, no need to get into that.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Ok, so it's a little sad to see a guy, in the prime of his life, descending to posts about his cats. You may as well put on your cardigan, your fuzzy house slippers, and start taping reruns of Bob Ross' Joy of Painting on PBS.

So sad to see it happen so early.

BullBunky said...

James, I wanted to compliment you on your photos of the cats. For some reason, I find it very hard to make my cats look photogenic, but you did it quite nicely.

And, now that I've used 'snot' and Curt has used 'blood and urine', you get the prize for adding 'pukes' :)

Curt Sawyer said...

You failed to mention that I also called Cynthia "Scabby-Cat" due to her and Emily constantly fighting and tearing each other up. Once Doby arrived on the scene, however, the balance of power shifted and there was a new sheriff in town and Lumpy and Scabby stopped fighting.

People used to think I had two female roommates named Cynthia and Emily. It made for some interesting conversations when I would say stuff like, "Emily sat on my lap all night last night."

JamesF said...

Captain Sawyer:
Crap, you're right. I forgot all about the "Scabby-Cat" reference.

John:
Yea, the pictures of Cynthia and Doobie turned out pretty good. The picture of Emily looks very blah, but I did like the others.