Thursday, April 20, 2006

Back From PA


My two day journey to the bowels of PA is over. Actually, it's really not that bad up there. The skies are clear, the air is good, there's actually undeveloped land. It's like a window back into what I remember as small town life from when I was growing up. I think the population of the area is about the same also.



The only problem I have with the area is lack of places to eat. If you drive over to the main part of the town, there's all the normal fast food places and a couple of restaurants. But it's nothing like living here where there's a place to eat every block. If you're out where our company's PA office is, the choices for food are pretty limited. I ate here at the recommendation of some of the guys in the office up there. It's a nice place. Got that Mom and Pop feel to it. They don't have indoor seating, you just pickup your order and there are some picnic benches (although I ended up having to take mine back to the office so I wouldn't be late for a meeting). Food tastes good too, but man is it greasy. I got a steak and cheese and it was just dripping. The bread acted like a sponge soaking up a lot of it, but even then when you would bite down grease would just ooze out and drip.

Jeff and I had dinner at one of the Chinese buffet places (Jeff is the Program Manager for the project I'm helping on). And this is just the coolest thing. Later that night, Jeff comes over with his laptop and starts asking for advice on C++ code for a class he's taking. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a Program Manager that at least understands some of the coding aspects and the challenges some things present. And finally, I figured I would get a sunset from somewhere else (tonight's update has been brought to you in widescreen).



I managed to get home tonight just after seven. So I got to have dinner with the family and play a bit with the kids before they went to bed. I got the impression they were glad to have me back, but had I not come back tonight, I think they would have been okay with that also.

1 comment:

BullBunky said...

Yes, I think it is hard for us to accept that while we're away on a business trip, the world moves on. :)