Monday, January 02, 2006

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back To Work I Go...

This morning I tried jumping the car again, also tried getting some gas in case that was low (although I think I ended up with most of that on my hands and the driveway, man that stuff stinks). After all that failed, I had to call the tow company. Really wanted to avoid that. The one good thing was the kids got the watch the car being towed away, this apparently was one of the highlights of their day (the other was the more mundane watching "Charlie and Lola"). Tow trucks have gone high tech. Maybe it's just been ages since I've seen a car actually towed, but now the dude never has to leave the cab. The whole thing in the back is motorized and slides around the wheels. Pretty cool. Not sure it was worth paying as much as I did to see, but cool nonetheless.

So Ginger and the kids took me to work at around 12:30. I heard from Quinn that later they ordered pizza for lunch (and he had breadsticks). They took me to work because unlike the rest of the general populace, we did not have today off. This fact did not prevent about half the company from not coming in today though. This made today qualify for the most unproductive day of the year. And yes, I realize it was also the most productive day of the year so far, but that's not what I'm getting at.

Craven called at close to six (after two people I had secured rides from couldn't stand the boredom anymore and had left already). Turns out it was the battery. Not sure how this could be the case, since I know I tried jumping it and I could tell when the cables were connected it had more power than before. Although I didn't have anyone revving the other car while I was trying to start mine (being just one person and all).
They gave me some explanation about because it's fuel injected that the engine could have been overloaded if the gas had been pumped when trying to start it. So basically the battery is going to cost me like 3 times what I could have just replaced it myself for had I just gone out and bought a battery (I figure that from the cost of the battery, the towing and the 'time' it took them to discover the problem). And I wasn't able to pick up the car today, because the front right tire was also low, but the car needs to be inspected (which I told them earlier in the day), but they didn't look at the car till like 5:30 so the inspector couldn't start it early and he apparently left by the time they got around to it, so he will be checking out the car tomorrow.

I bummed a ride home, and Quinn and Ginger got up from their nap not too long after I got here. Not too long after that Catherine got up. Ginger didn't feel like cooking, so we all headed out to Wendy's (the kids got to choose between that and Red Robin and they choose Wendy's). Quinn pigged out on nuggets eating like 6. Once we got home, the kids were off to bed (although a little later than we wanted since they have to be up early tomorrow for their first day returning to school).

2 comments:

Barry said...

Sometimes that battery can be so dead that it won't hold any charge from a jump. You don't have AAA?

JamesF said...

Nope, we don't have AAA.

And the thing with the battery was it wasn't completely dead. It's not like you turned the ignition and nothing happened, the engine would spin and crank, it would just never 'catch' to turn on.

Someone else suggested that maybe one of the cells in the battery was dead. I don't know, all I know is it was a costly battery replacement.