Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ask Not For Whom The Gas Passes

Yesterday was odd. It started out with me getting to work for our rescheduled conference call. I had thought this call was going to be with the folks in PA to discuss the interface we'll be implementing. Turns out it's a conference call with another company about how they want to implement screens that talk to our stuff through the new open interface we're creating (which I might add, one of our tasks is also to create screens for this). Nice heads up. I don't mind being in on these calls, I would just like a little heads up sometimes as to who I'm talking to and what the nature of the relationship between the callers is before going in.

Anyway, after that debacle I decided to come home for lunch (this combined with the fact I had brought in no food for lunch made it a no brainer). When I got home, Quinn was playing with his Connect Four game and Catherine was running around completely naked. Not pantless which is more or less normal these days with her potty training, since she'll often come out of the bathroom pantless (her new nickname in those instances is "Barebutt Catherine", although she will put her pants back on with prompting). I'm hoping we can break that habit losing her pants before she's a teenager. Anyway, the reason she was completely naked was she had returned from ballet class and needed to use the restroom, and had to take off the entire outfit in order to do that. Luckily Ginger was close behind with a change of clothes.

While I was home Quinn wanted to start putting together his new magnet sets that he had gotten when my Dad was up. These were things like a magnet set to build an airplane (or rocket as Quinn refers to as), a helicopter and a general set that could make a star. I wasn't able to finish putting it together before I left to go back to work, but I got all the parts that needed to be screwed together done. Once I left, Ginger took over helping put them together. The plane was put together once I got home, but Quinn had been 'flying' it around the house like it was a toy airplane and had squeezed it so that it basically lost it's shape. So I got to take it all apart and put it together again. Fun. Once I had it together and Catherine's star together, they were both flying them around the house, until they ran into each other and again squished their creations. Ginger I believe was multitasking between five different things at this point such as dinner, helping put the items back together and other stuff (I have no idea what those other things were, but she's made a point of mentioning several times how impressive she was and that I should relay that here, so there).

Work for the past couple of days has been meeting with people trying to figure out how we'll implement all we have to do with the limited budget that we suddenly have. My budget started out as 4 man years over 9 months, and has shrunk to 1.5 man years over the next 6 months. Time to 'work smarter' I guess. Today at work was a bit annoying actually. I got an email from the PA folks that they wanted me to do a phone interview at 1 PM. So I said sure, no problem. And they told me that they would call me when they were ready for me to talk to the guy. Ginger called just before one and wanted to know if I was going to come home, and I told her about the call and I would try and get home after the phone interview. So two thirty rolls around and still no call from PA. I called HR in PA to find out what was going on, and low and behold, the interview is actually on Friday. She was sure she had mentioned that in the email, and I told her, "No, I think I would have noticed that." Once she reread the email she sent, she started apologizing a lot. At that point it was too late to go home though. Luckily there was some meeting down the hall that had ordered food for lunch and there was some lunch meat platter leftovers in the kitchen area, so I snagged a bit of that.

Oh, and there was a fairly large shake up / reorg that occurred at work today also. I had known there was one in the works, but it turned out to be a lot bigger than I had anticipated. I think I won't know all the ripple effects of it until Friday.

Only Quinn was up when I got home tonight. So Quinn and I goofed around for a bit as I carried him through the house. It was all fun and games till he let one rip while he was up there on my shoulders. Catherine woke up just as we were having dinner. I made the mistake of trying to go up and get her by myself and I got a lot of "Nooooo, I want Mommy. Go away!" She is so cranky when she first gets up. I have no idea where she gets that. Can't be me. Luckily Quinn came up and I had Quinn ask her to come downstairs and she was 'sugar and spice' with him and followed him downstairs as pretty as you please.

Ginger's still having her headaches. I think today is like day 6 in a row. Partly because of that we haven't been able to watch / knock off much in the way of TV. Just "Scrubs", "Gilmore Girls" (Ginger), "Boondocks" (me) and some partial "Daily Shows" (me again). Doubt we'll get to "Lost" tonight.

1 comment:

BullBunky said...

How many Tivo's do you have running in your home? :) I keep waiting for DirecTV to announce their new high def DVR so we can move into the 21st century.