Tuesday, September 12, 2006

You've Chosen ... Poorly

I had an early meeting today, so that meant since I was in earlier than normal I could leave early and spend some time with the kids. I took them outside for a bit. They played in the sandbox for a while, then it was off to the front yard where Quinn did all his sports stuff. While we were in the front I gave Catherine her gloves and put her to work clearing out weeds. It works out well that she actually considers weeding to be fun and wants to do it.






After the kids were in bed I ran out to the grocery store to pick up some vital items that we needed (milk, OJ, bread, etc). As I was looking for a checkout line, I noticed they were all really long, except for one. So I jumped in that line. The woman in it had a lot of stuff, but she only had about 10 items left to scan. I remember thinking how lucky I was that I found that line. Ahh. I can be so naive at times. Turns out the woman in front of me was paying by check, and had 'forgotten' her Wegman's card (which apparently is required to write checks, I wasn't aware of that since I haven't written a check to pay at a grocery store in like 10 years). And the woman was unable to remember her phone number that went with the card also (exactly how do you forget your phone number?). And evidently had no credit cards or alternative means of payment. So after what felt like ten minutes and multiple store managers coming over, they finally processed the check (I vaguely remember thinking they'll never see that money). At that point I did a quick look around at the other lanes and all the people I would have been behind were either gone already or leaving. Can I pick them or can I pick them. Vegas here I come.

So on a completely different subject. Ginger got word of this new TiVo deal. Upgrade your current lifetime service (for a transfer fee) to a new HD TiVo. You have to buy the new HD model through TiVo though. The new HD TiVo model isn't cheap, but man it looks pretty. The remote alone makes me want to purchase it. That coupled with the fact it apparently has two tuners and can record multiple programs at once (I assume it's like the old stuff where you could watch a previously recorded show while it's recording, but haven't looked into it) all combine to make it sound very appealing (especially with how many TV shows we want to watch this season seem to conflict). Plus it's got the time and as well as what it's currently recording right there on the front panel. The question now I guess is whether it's a good deal and how it compares to other HD DVRs (such as the ones from the HD providers themselves). Of course, we haven't even purchased an HD capable television yet, but man does this suddenly make it sound attractive.

3 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

You've Chosen ... Poorly
---Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

And it sounds like TiVo is finally reaching the capabilities of the DVRs provided by the cable company (I've had two tuners for literally years).

;-)

JamesF said...

You're correct, I was think Indiana Jones with title.

As for the TiVo stuff, TiVo has had two tuners for a while also (I believe it was always part of the DirectTivo back when they had that partnership with DirectTV), but I have the first version of the series two TiVo, which was before they had two tuners in their analog versions (it was also well before regular cable companies were even offering DVRs).

The one thing I haven't liked about TiVo is how your account is tied to hardware versus you as a person. Meaning that if I have the lifetime service, but bought a new TiVo box, I couldn't transfer the service from the old box to the new one. Since if I could transfer the service then I would have bought one of the two tuner versions long ago.

The Dogfather said...

I wasn't gonna comment till I actually followed the link...

Holy [BLEEEP], Comic Guy!
Did that say $800?!?
AND $200 to transfer? I mean it's awfully nice that they let you use the old one for one last year, but... jiminey christmas... a thousand bucks for TV? I like TV and all, but sheesh. In addition since I don't even have digital cable to the house (and no dish) and my TV only supports ED (enhanced definition) AND I don't have a grand kickin around... this is not in my future.
You must've been diggin through the couch for loose change again...
;-)