Sunday, September 17, 2006

Wipeout

Normal Sunday routine for the most part, got up, church, grocery store, back home for lunch. Catherine was a bit on edge today, probably due to no nap yesterday and not going to bed early Saturday night. So Ginger had them nap right after lunch. Quinn wasn't down long, and after he got up it wasn't long before we were outside playing, then he decided to go to the park.

Instead of riding his bike though, he wanted to take his scooter. I tried to dissuade him and tell him how bad an idea I thought that was. But the young can be stubborn and determined (much like the old actually). So we headed over to the park. Aside from playing briefly on the swings, I'm not really sure what we did at the park that he couldn't have done at our house. Thing eventually degraded back into the game of him being in a NASCAR race and me having to be the pit crew and 'change tires' and 'gas him up' on pit stops as he races around a parking lot.


Had a minor issue on the way back home. He wiped out and scraped his knee up a bit. We called 91Ginger and had her (and Catherine) come pick us up and take us back home. He felt better after a band-aid was applied. I think the fact they watched some TV helped also. They watched the new Curious George show, which after watching an episode with them, I kind of like. It tries to teach some deductive reasoning. Not bad for a kiddie show. After that we all headed out to Ledo's Pizza for dinner. When we got home, this was on the walkway. I can't tell if it's the same as the previous one that Scott catalogued as being a toad. This one looks shiny and doesn't appear to have the bumps the other one did. Verdict Scott? Frog? Toad? Same as before? Different?


Once we got home and put the kids to bed, Ginger and I finished watching Season 2 of Veronica Mars. Now we just have to decide whether we're going to watch Season 3 when it starts in a couple of weeks.

And finally, no, this isn't a Risky Business homage. Last night the kids and I were playing around with a weird looking pair of sunglasses while Ginger was off at her stamping thing. And yes, I know I need a haircut.







8 comments:

Scott said...

I think it's still a toad (Bufo bufo), but I'm not sure. I think it's a toad for the following reasons:

- claw-like feet (not webbed and padded)
- warty (still)
- location found--looks like your brick doorstep, which would be a big-time toad hangout, and very rare to see a frog there.

What's stumping me still is that he's slimy. Did you spray him with the hose just to stump me?

Scott said...

You know what, despite what I just said, I've changed my mind. Now I'm pretty sure it's a frog.

The Leopard Frog (Rana blairi)

Scott said...

On further research, it's definitely a Leopard Frog and not a toad. But the Rana blairi is a species found in the plains of N. America. The one you have is more likely Rana sphenocephala, which is indeed found in Virginia.

See this site.

JamesF said...

Let's give it up for Scott people, the man does more before 6 AM than I do all day.

Scott said...

<grin>

mattfite said...

Scott, do you just know toads and frogs, or can i consult with you to identify insects?

James - who took the photo of you? and yes, you do need a haircut. i can provide some pointers if you want to start doing it yourself...

Scott said...

I'm especially good with insects!!!! Hit me with some of those Louisiana monstrosities!

JamesF said...

Matt, Quinn took the picture of me. He scares the crap out of me everytime he takes a picture with my camera since he takes the picture then tilts the camera down really fast so he can see the picture in the viewfinder. And since I don't have a protective filter on the lens, I'm always worried he's going to hit or scratch the lens on something.