Sunday, August 13, 2006

Picture Sitting

Today after church we had an appointment at the Picture People to have photos of the kids taken. It could have gone better. We got there and Quinn didn't have a pair of shoes except for his flip-flops (why that was the case is a long story all by itself). And let me just say, in semi formal pictures, flip-flops isn't what you want to see. So we had him lose the shoes, but then the barefoot look for him and shoes for Catherine look really contrasted.

The person doing the pictures lacked something (let's call it enthusiasm). In her defense she was having to work with our two children, both of whom have minds of their own and don't like doing what they're told. As the picture sitting went on, the kids were less and less cooperative. Eventually we did get through it, and we got some pictures that aren't too bad. I might be cocky, but I think I've taken some pictures that were at least as good as some of the ones I saw from them. With the proper backgrounds, and some fancy multiple diffuser / flashes, and I think I could do this stuff. Also, at the end of the session, I actually suggested taking a couple more shots and suggested a pose. One of the shots with the pose I picked I think turned out to be a pretty good shot (number 22). However, the other one ended up looking like Quinn is groping Catherine (number 23), so I'm not perfect at this. I've included some of the shots below. We don't have access to the bigger versions obviously. Aside: I tried laying out the pics within the post, but the layout just nuts. So I just moved all the pictures to the end. Aside 2: Okay, I tried, I really did. I tried using the left and right alignment and getting more than 1 pic per line, but in IE the layout was completely hosed and would end up pushing the right hand links off to the bottom of the page. So I apologize in advance, but all the pics are centered now and in a line down the middle at the end of the post. I suck at this blogging stuff. How the heck does Scott manage to get three and four pics on a row sometimes.

We now return the regularly scheduled blog entry already in progress: After that we went by Jacque Pené and got some bath stuff and while we were there we looked for some clothes for the kids. Man was that ever a mistake. The sale racks are just in chaos, pure and simple. Then once we had stuff we wanted to buy, the checkout area we were at with 2 registers was horrible. Apparently there was some customer questioning the price on some items and they were going through their entire sales receipt item by excruciating item. And then to make matters worse, people at the end of the line decided to leave the one line leading the both registers and basically butted up front and created two lines. The complete rudeness of some people continues to astonish me. I can't even begin to think under what circumstances that type of behavior would be acceptable (ok, dying and checking into a hospital.... maybe). I will take part of the blame for the register fiasco though, since I had suggested going to a different checkout area within the store (which I think would have alleviated the problem), but didn't press the issue hard enough.

Finally after all that we managed to get back home. We let Quinn play outside with Nana some and Ginger and I took Catherine to PetsMart and let her get two new female sailfin mollies for our tank. The female molly we had in there before (remember, she had been sick for a while) was belly up this morning. Hopefully these new ones adjust and last for a while.












3 comments:

mattfite said...

yes. can we get scott to give a howto on laying out photos?

Unknown said...

Looks like Scott is using a theme with a wider content column. That may be the magic trick.

Scott said...

Ok. Here's the tutorial.

First, I did indeed widen the layout. The original theme was too narrow, so I widened it to 550px.

Then, when I upload photos, I select "small" and choose "none" for centering/alignment. Then you have to go in the HTML and delete the LFs between the </a> and the <a href> tags.

Nice pictures of the kids, James.