Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Let's All Go To The Movies...

Before I start in on the movie reviews. I wanted to let people know that last week's episode of Blade (which was a semi flashback episode to Blade's childhood and was really well done) has been made available for free on iTunes. So grab it if you are so inclined and have the time to check it out. From what I've heard Spike is interested in another 13 episodes of the series, so it sounds like there will probably be a season 2. And with that let's move on to the movie reviews. As always, I will do my best to judge the movies without giving away too much about the movie itself in the way of spoilers.

Yours Mine and Ours: We are initially introduced to two families of 8 and 10 kids respectively each being raised by single parents. It just so happens these parents used to be high school sweethearts and after seeing each other again for the first time in years at a high school reunion decided to get hitched and crazy hijinks ensue. Don't worry, there's too much potential fun of 18 kids living together to be bothered with courting and an actual wedding. That all apparently takes place in two hours off screen. This movie was terrible. I hated it. It was corny, predictable, formulaic and the kids acting in it were pretty bad too. Watching it was horrible. The only thing that remotely redeemed the experience was I was watching it with Ginger. So of course my Mom and Ginger both thought the movie okay.

Appleseed: This anime was pretty good. The initial 8 minutes makes it worth the cost of admission. The art is a combination of CGI and animation with cell shading. The story is entertaining enough and the plot takes some unique turns. Unfortunately the ending doesn't end so much as wrap up. And then there is a critical action scene at the end left completely unexplained. All in all a better than average anime film if you can get past everyone saying the main character's name all the time (although that's a 'feature' in just about any anime I've seen).

The 40 Year Old Virgin: I thought this was an extremely funny movie. I laughed more during this than I have watching any movie I can think of in the past couple of years (I should note though that I don't go see a lot of comedies these days, so that could be the reason). Much like the above movie though, Ginger and I had different opinions on this one also. While I was laughing throughout the movie I think she barely cracked a smile throughout the whole movie. The only thing I think she did find amusing was the number of similarities between the main character and myself (since there were numerous comic book references, action figure collections and video games). We got the extended edition, and I can see how even though it was all amusing, it did run a tad long at two hours and fifteen minutes. It's definitely a guy comedy movie and can be a bit raw in places (at least it seemed that way at our house).

King Kong: This would be the newer one by Peter Jackson. Even after watching this one I'm unsure about it. It's long. I mean really long. It clocks in at three hours and fifteen minutes. And it's well done visually and there are a lot of action sequences. The movie isn't without it's issues though. The biggest problem I think the movie has to overcome is the story. And you may be saying the story is a classic. And that's true, but that's also part of the problem. You know the story going in. There may be a tweak here and there with a character, but for the most part it's the same story you know which I think detracts from the viewing. And that's not to say the updated story itself doesn't have problems. Like how exactly did they get Kong from the island to the boat? And where on the boat exactly did they put him once they got him to the boat (don't worry, those 'details' are left out and you need not concern yourself with these issues)? Then near the end when Kong is loose in NY the military decides to go to defcon 5 with no concern for any civilians as they're firing mortars throughout the city (I guess caring about civilian casualties is only a recent thing with the military). Overall I didn't like it that much simply because it was too much. It would fall into my "Meh" Netflix rating if such a thing existed. I'm not disappointed I watched it, but I won't be watching it again (nor is it a movie that I would stop and watch were I to find it on TV).


And now for no reason at all, a picture of Catherine wearing a hat.

1 comment:

Barry said...

Karen and I both loved the 40 Year Old Virgin. It's been playing on cable a lot and its definitely a movie I stop on to keep watching again.

I also liked King Kong, but like you said its long and I doubt I would commit the time again to rewatch.