Monday, August 21, 2006

Deer JamesF...

Ginger and the kids took off today and went to visit in Richmond for a few days, so I'm flying solo here. If nothing else this should allow me to catch up on the three weeks of Daily Show / Colbert Reports I have on the TiVo that I need to watch.

The deer in the backyard were back again tonight. So I went out and tried to get pictures. If you'll remember this is basically the same area where I tried taking pictures of Quinn not too long ago and couldn't get the lighting right. And no real surprise, but nothing seems to have changed since that attempt at taking pictures of Quinn and now. My big telephoto lens blows complete and utter chunks in low light situations.

There was a male and female that I could see. The male stayed very deep in the woods and seemed really skittish, but the female wasn't as paranoid and got pretty close. Didn't matter. The camera just did not want to take a decent shot with the low level light conditions in the woods. I'm thinking the problem is I used the my biggest telephoto lens at maximum zoom (max zoom is 200mm, so 300mm with the digital crop factor). That lens also just happens to have the worst F-Stop range on it (and the F-Stop gets worse as the zoom increases). I tried everything I could think of with it though. I dialed the film speed up to 1600, but even then the shutter was staying open way too long to get even a remotely decent hand held shot. So finally I manually set the shutter speed to 1/30th of a second. The picture took, but it was a really dark shot and you could only barely see outlines of stuff. I tried using Picasa to fill in the light, and what I got from that is what you see below. Nothing good, that's for sure. I can't tell if the graniness comes from the high film speed or the amount of filled in lighting though Picasa. Next time I'm going to take the 50mm lens out since it can go down to an F-Stop of 1.4, and I'll just have to crop the heck out of the shot.




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi James,
You're home alone? Your long telephoto lens sounds nice.

Love,
Carlene

Scott said...

Uh, I think the most interesting thing about this post is the first comment. Who the heck is Carlene?

<wink, wink, nudge, nudge>

Scott said...

By the way, I wish I got visitors like that!

Curt Sawyer said...

Carlene gets around. And she is still waiting for her invoice to be paid.

JamesF said...

I think the most interesting thing about this post is the first comment.

*sigh*

Apparently if I'm not posting skimpy pool pics I'm boring. Sadly, I can believe that. I'll work on that for tonight's post. Hopefully we'll see a recurring character make a return.

Who the heck is Carlene?

My first guess was KennyG since he's the only person I know of that posts anonymously to my blog on a regular basis. But looking at the logs, it would appear that someone from Salem is responsible. At least that's my guess, which makes a lot of sense considering they used the name from Curt's spam post and came to my site from Curt's (that's also why I allowed the comment to stay after I saw it last night and didn't just delete it outright).

So given all that, I can only respond with, you like the sound of the lens? You should see my noodle.

Unknown said...

I get blamed for everything. Jeese.

You know logs lie, you tell Curt everytime he brags about his numbers :)

JamesF said...

I get blamed for everything.

I notice that's not an actual denial. :-)

Scott said...

I think the most interesting thing about this post is the first comment.

*sigh*

Apparently if I'm not posting skimpy pool pics I'm boring. Sadly, I can believe that. I'll work on that for tonight's post. Hopefully we'll see a recurring character make a return.


Gosh. That didn't come out right. I didn't mean it like it sounded.

Open mouth. Insert foot.

Really, I love your posts. Even the ones without nearly naked youthful coeds. Really.

Curt Sawyer said...

You're home alone? Your long telephoto lens sounds nice.

Don't ever delete a comment like this. Especially since it is the most interesting thing about this post!

;-)

Unknown said...

I wouldn't be so quick to accuse me! Are you sure it's not Carlene Sanders from Lee County, VA? She's not too far from you and rides a motorcycle.

The Dogfather said...

Moi? You suspected ~ME~?

Please, I would've said something like, "Speaking of your BIG telephoto lens, I'm still waiting for you to fill my invoice. I mean, you've been looking at it for a while now, I'd like you to give it to me."

That would be the kind of lurker post I'd make.

Unknown said...

Virginia is a state full of sickos. You are all macaca, whatever the hell that means. George Allen thinks you are a pervert and wants to meet you privately in a remote park. Bring your noodle.