Monday, August 28, 2006

Just Gimme The Cash

Today Ginger took the kids by the library to get some new books. I heard they also went by the grocery store (Giant) and had a horrible time checking out and eventually had to do the 'check yourself out' even though they had a ton of groceries since only one register was open and the line was really long (we've been getting spoiled by how good Wegman's is about stuff like that I guess). Seemed like everyone had a fun time. Which is really good, because once I got home tonight was a nightmare from dinner onward.

Since we've been basically making Quinn at least try something new at dinner, dinners have turned into the worst part of the day. The kid is stubborn, I'll give him that. He can sit at the dinner table for a full hour and a half refusing to eat something. Tonight's terrible new item, one spaghetti noodle. One! It's not like we rolled up a bunch on a fork, it was one noodle. You can't even taste one noodle. Dinner has turned into this maddening experience. It's like watching the six stages of grief as Quinn doesn't eat it (I say six and not seven because he won't always gets to that seventh stage of acceptance). Although he does them a bit out of order. Initially he starts with disbelief that we want him to try something new. This is before he's even sat down and he can just see the spaghetti noodle on his plate. Then he skips ahead to being angry about it. Once he's sitting down he's in denial that he's going to eat it (although since sometimes he never gets to that seventh stage and doesn't eat it after all that, is it really denial or simply determination and fortitude?). Next comes the guilt about how he's doesn't want to eat the spaghetti and he ate something new last week already. About 45 minutes later we start in on bargaining. He'll eat it tomorrow, he promises (yeah right). Or he'll eat the carrot stick instead (until you call his bluff, then it's "No, I don't want to eat the carrot stick"). From there we pick up speed and go straight downhill into full blown depression with him crying and trying anything to get out it.

This is really not fun. I'm hoping that since tonight he sat there the entire time until bedtime and didn't get to play or read books will help with later nights. He seemed more upset about missing out on playtime and books than he was about actually eating the spaghetti noodle (which he never ate, although strangely enough he did take a minuscule bite of the carrot stick eventually).

For my sake I hope he starts actually eating his new item each night soon. I would hate to think the only time I get to see him from here on out is dinner and we have to go through this every night. Just think Buddy, you have this to look forward to, hit the link and offer up some congratulations and let Buddy know what he's getting himself into.

But enough about Quinn not eating. Let's see, the motivational posters started a pretty fun game of everyone posting one. This may end up doing the same. I don't know all the details about how it arrives at it's number though. I suspect since it's using the Technorati's API it probably has something to do with how many links they know about to your blog from different sources. Anyway, it's amusing to me (and yes Curt, I know your blog and John's are both valued higher than mine). That said, where exactly do I go to cash this blog out and just get the cash?


My blog is worth $4,516.32.
How much is your blog worth?

12 comments:

Scott said...

I tried several hits on the worth thing, all with disappointing results:

- mine $3300
- scott-harris.org $0
- aquaria.scott-harris.org $0
- scottsravings.com $0

I tried the last three to see if it only worked with registered Technorati pages, and that seems to be true. I went on to try:

- h----rworld $0

I think they just value it by how many links in and out of your blog there are. Sucks that mine is cheaper than yours, but I would still take the $3300. Let me know if you find the cash-out place!

The dinner fights with Quinn sound like fun (not). Seems like these things are more about testing your limits than they are about actually consuming a piece of food.

There's two schools of thought here... one, it's a battle line drawn and you must stand your ground and be consistent. The other is that battles about food lead to unhealthy eating habits as adults ('clean your plate' mindset is harmful and all that).

I fall somewhere in the middle, and ask my children to take a "thank you" bite of anything they have on their plate. Eventually, and it's a long eventually, Luke has begun to broaden his horizons and now even eats things like salmon and asparagus. Eddie will eat anything... sushi, sardines, snails, you name it. (Just like me.)

Curt Sawyer said...

Whoo-ooo! My blog rocks!!! Whoo--oooo! Your blog's a loser!!! Whoo-ooo!

;-)

Barry said...

Can you bribe him with some special desert if takes the bite?

JamesF said...

Can you bribe him with some special desert if takes the bite?

Technically (according to our pediatrician) you shouldn't bribe them. So of course I've tried it. Although there's no desert that he craves enough to taste it. I've even tried using video games as a motivator (since he loves playing those just about more than anything and doesn't really get to play them that often) and that didn't work either. In fact, that caused more problems because then he wanted to play the game without taking the action that would allow it. At this point, I feel like he really needs to learn actions have consequences, because I get the impression he doesn't really get that yet.

Unknown said...

Hmm...my original comment attempt didn't work, so here goes again...

My food blog is at $7000 or so, and my personal blog is in the low $2000s. Of course the actual market value for both is close to $0.

Our kids are younger than Quinn, but one thing we try to do is get them involved in grocery shopping and cooking. LE is still too young to really get into it, but she'll eat pretty much anything anyways. EtE, who at one point would only eat Goldfish, loves making pesto and baking. He also knows most of what's in the pantry and will ask for something if he wants it (e.g. "shells", which is mac and cheese.) We try to get our kids excited about when we're out too -- for instance, if we go to Baja Fresh, we'll sit in the seats next to the kitchen so the kids can watch the action, or if we go for BBQ, EtE will watch the guy cut the meat.

I think it's the consistency that matters -- just keep doing it and at some point things will get better.

Anonymous said...

Follow up to -s, while it is true that EtE has moved from his Goldfish and Cheezit only diet to a broarder range of foods, he still will NOT touch a vegetable. He won't allow a vegetable to touch his other food, and he simply romoves it from his plate. Considering he's 2, we give him some slack. EtE will eat fruit about once a week, and then he eats so much of it I guess it carries him the rest of the week. Sometimes he dips his fruit in fiesta ranch dip (a match he created)...hay, whatever gets fruit into him!:)

I know it's easier said then done, but if it were me, I would try not to make an issue out of food, because in my experience, if you make an issue out of it so too will that stubborn kiddo. I guess what I'm saying is maybe try and let him "discover" the new item, and he may be more receptive to it.

Just my .02!

Scott said...

Ever try to do a forcible "beer-bong" approach to feeding him? Nothing a funnel and a long hose can't solve!

JamesF said...

Hmm...my original comment attempt didn't work, so here goes again...

Blogger's been having difficulty all day from what I've seen.

My food blog is at $7000 or so, and my personal blog is in the low $2000s. Of course the actual market value for both is close to $0.

Yea, I put that up tounge in cheek, I suspect that the only way I can make money on mine is to get people to pay me to take it away.

...get them involved in grocery shopping

Yep, tried that. Tried having him pick something new to try. This usually ends up with him having us buy something and then never eating. The only minor saving grace out of all this is about 4 months ago he actually started eating vitamins. Before that he wouldn't even eat those (which I really don't understand, those taste like candy).

I know it's easier said then done, but if it were me, I would try not to make an issue out of food, because in my experience, if you make an issue out of it so too will that stubborn kiddo.

And that's more or less what we've been doing prior to the past month. That's basically also the same thing our pediatrician said too, don't make a big deal out of it. So we hadn't, and he has just choosen not to eat anything new for 3 years now. His diet prior to 1 month ago consisted of chicken nuggets, bread, crackers and the occaisional soy nut butter on a cracker. Recently though the pediatrician did say he should start eating other stuff, so we're just trying to get him to try it. Not like he has to finish it, just taste it. But he's got this psychological barrier up where he'll almost cause himself to throw up when you give him something new.

In fact it's only been a couple of months now where we've gotten him to start eating vitamins (before the only way to get one into him was grind it up and mix it in his orange juice).

Ever try to do a forcible "beer-bong" approach to feeding him? Nothing a funnel and a long hose can't solve!

Uhhh, no. We hadn't gone to defcon 6 and done that yet.

Anonymous said...

It's possible that this may be Quinn's response/reaction to your justifiable concern of exposing your daughter to peanuts. He may interpret it as Catherine has a food "issue" so he should have a food "issue" too...just a thought.

As you've learned you cannot force feed a child!;) Although wouldn't it be nice if we could?:)

JamesF said...

It's possible that this may be Quinn's response/reaction to your justifiable concern of exposing your daughter to peanuts. He may interpret it as Catherine has a food "issue" so he should have a food "issue" too...just a thought.


That's actually a really good point that I hadn't considered. I will say he's never vocalized anything along those lines, but that obviously doesn't meant that couldn't be a factor. Maybe I can try and 'talk' to him about it tonight.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps -s does not remember his own childhood. He would not let vegetables touch his other food. I remember him counting out the required number of green beans and lining them up on the side of his plate... Last I checked he was not still doing this so if "EtE" does it maybe there is some hereditary element : ))

Anonymous said...

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnn n bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb