Thursday, May 11, 2006

NASCAR? Really?


I still find it hard to believe I have a son that's into NASCAR. I take some solace that these days he doesn't care as much about the actual races as he does creating his own version of a race. A year ago it was Thomas the Tank Engine, now it's NASCAR. To be honest, I'm not seeing that much difference between the two. With the Thomas toys every year they would issue a new version of an existing train. Look, it's regular Thomas, now it's Gold Thomas, can't forget Holiday Thomas, and look, there goes Frosted Snow Covered Thomas. Change the train name and you had the same thing for all the others (Percy I think was the worst with a different version being available for each story he was ever in).

That, as they say, was then. Now we have NASCARs. Where every year the drivers have some subtle change to their car or simply change sponsors and issue a new version of the car. Luckily the cars cost less than the trains, and Quinn has yet to really care about getting different versions of the same car (except for the M&M car, which he has like 5 different versions). Still, it's trading one addiction for another at this point. I suppose I should count myself lucky that once he started getting into the NASCAR stuff he stopped being as interested in the trains. And with us easily having around 100 different trains, I don't know how many more new ones we could have handled (and if you want a scary number, consider each train cost around $10, and some were more).

The picture above is of Quinn in the official Home Depot car was from when he was in Richmond last week. He was down there to see the NASCAR time trials, and apparently they had some booths set up to help part people from their money.

7 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

Says the guy who used to spend $200 per month on comic books...

Scott said...

So how do the NASCARs vary? The first year the car is normal, then it has a small dent over the rear fender, then later, it's crunched up on the front, and then it has an all new rack-and-pinion steering with curb-feelers and under carriage lights?

Awesome!

BullBunky said...

To me, this is like the re-branding they have had to do on the SF Giants ballpark. First it was Pacific Bell Park, then SBC Park, and now AT&T Park...and this place has only been open since I moved here!

Barry said...

When do you get Quinn a mullet haircut?

Barry said...

I think your blogger timezone is set for Pacific. My post time is off by 3 hours.

BullBunky said...

Hmmmm, I thought the world revolved around Google-time. Or Microsoft-time.

JamesF said...

Curt, I think $200 is a lot higher than what I used to spend. And I wasn't complaining about buying the cars per se (it was more the whole stigma I had previously attached to NASCAR), but I definitely see your point and it does appear a bit hypocritical.

And yes, my blog is on pacific time, always has been. Scott pointed it out a while ago. The reason it like that is because it gives me an extra three hours to make posts on the appropriate day (a feature I've used often).