Saturday, May 27, 2006

But This One Goes To Eleven

Today is our wedding anniversary. Ginger and I have now been together for 11 years (funny, it seems like longer). We did our semi annual tradition of breaking out the wedding video and watching that. I say semi annual because we used to always do it until we had the kids, then we missed a couple of years. As we get older that video is getting more and more painful to watch (and I'm not just referring to the 30 minutes of line dancing at the end of the tape either). In addition to the fact that it's simply a VCR tape and it's starting to show signs of aging, we've both noticed how young we looked back then (which sort implies we don't think we look young now). Other than the age thing, it's nice to be able to look back to see what started it all. As we got to the part where we were saying our vows, Ginger looked over at me and made the comment "That's where I should have started running."

I also got to see Curt's passionate on tape reminiscencing. Fun stuff that. So one of the things I did for our wedding reception was to write a small program that allowed people to enter advice to us (actually they could pick Ginger, me or us as a couple). So I checked out some of the stuff from that too. I may post all of it at some point, but here's a bit of advice Curt gave addressed to both of us. To be fair to Curt, this was the last thing entered, which means that at this point a lot (and I mean a lot) of alcohol had been consumed (that fact does not invalidate the advice he offered in the slightest though).


Advice From Sawyer, Curtis M., CAPT USS Excalibur
05-27-1995

LCDR Fitzgerald, LT(jg) Johnston Fitzgerald:

1) Get James to buy a damn watch.
2) Get James to look at the damn watch.
3) Teach James to tell time.
4) Get James to understand the meaning of the word "late".
5) Get James to decide not to be "late" anymore.
6) Have a long and productive life together.
7) Take the damn cats as soon as you can.

---CAPT Sawyer

2 comments:

Curt Sawyer said...

Fantastic advice then, fantastic advice now. Timeless, really. CAPT Sawyer sounds like a wise, wise man.

So in 11 years you've made Captain and gotten your own ship, and Ginger made Commander. Pretty good careers.

Seriously, congratulations. Cheryl and I hit 10 years in 4 days.

And you need to transfer that video to DVD.

Curt Sawyer said...

I cannot believe no one commented on the depth of my wisdom. I guess my wedding advice stands on its own merits.