Tuesday, May 02, 2006

She Put It Where? Are You Kidding?

So today started pretty normal. Took the kids to school, yada yada yada. Then just after 12 Ginger calls. She's just picked up the kids from school and she's obviously agitated and a tad frantic (never a good combo). I answered and the first thing I hear on the other end is "I need you to look up something online for me. I need to find out how to get a raisin out a child's nose." I felt like a cartoon character at this point, rubbing fists on eyes, shaking head, trying to assimilate what you just heard and make some sort of sense out of it, maybe waiting for the punchline that never comes. Yea, so apparently Catherine decided it would be interesting to stick a raisin completely up her nose. For the record, if you ever need to search for something like this (and I hope you don't), look for 'nose' and 'lodged', since 'nose' and 'stuck' gets a ton of "stuck their nose in where it didn't belong" type hits. Anyway, you're suppose to use tweezers to get it out, and not a Q-tip. You also shouldn't use a match. The website said specifically not to use a match. Seriously, who gets something stuck in their nose and decides to use a match to retrieve it. So, back to Catherine, once Ginger got home, she decided it was too far up there to get with the tweezers and so they scheduled a impromptu doctor visit. From the doctor's point of view this was evidently a fairly routine visit and extraction (apparently lots of kids put things up their nose). And here I always thought Catherine was one of the brighter kids.

So everything ended up okay, except for the inconvenience of Ginger having to run the kids by their doctor's office which is a good ways away since we never switched doctors from when we lived in Arlington. When I came home, the kids were watching an episode of Little Einsteins. Quinn informed me that it was now "Turn on TV week". I think that's his way of saying it's no longer "Turn off TV week", but I knew what he meant. I forgot to mention this the other day, but Quinn ratted me out. On Sunday when he woke up from nap, I turned on the TV to see the status of the NASCAR race for him, but I couldn't find it (apparently it had been rained out). Quinn got all over my case about turning on the TV and told me in no uncertain terms to turn it off. Then on Monday he ratted me out to his teacher at school telling her I had tried to watch TV during 'no TV week'.

While the kids were entertained inside I went out back to clear some more bushes (after having done this for several days now, I really don't see why the president likes clearing brush). The kids soon came out and we all went to the front yard and played. They rode their bikes for a while. I got pictures, but they were all crap since I had left the camera on shutter priority from where I was trying some fancy shots the night before. By the time I figured out what was going on, they had moved on to other toys (although, to be honest, at this point you've seen enough bike pictures). Quinn switched over to playing baseball, and Catherine was digging in the mulch. Digging in the mulch is actually one of Catherine's favorite things to do. You just have to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't start putting the mulch all over the walkway. And then later my theory of toy desire was proven as Catherine got out the lawn mower, which neither child had played with in about a year, and Quinn immediately wanted to play with it because Catherine was playing with it.



3 comments:

Scott said...

I'm not sure if it's at all accurate, but I've always heard that the "sticking things up your nose" phenomenon is somewhat skewed toward little girls. Don't know if it's true, and if it is, I sure as heck don't know why, but the whole business does leave you scratching your head!

"Hey, these raisins are good! Maybe I'll save them for later. Where to put them... where to put them....?"

Barry said...

I understand the mulch obsession. I know park time is over when Reuben and Jacob start playing with the mulch. At that point they're about 5 minutes away from dumping mulch on each other' s heads.

Barry said...

Who knew your blog would be a research tool. We just got a call from a neighbor asking our opinion on whether to go the INOVA emergency center in Fairfax City or the main emergency room at Fairfax Hospital. The reason... Play'do up the nose!! Based on your post we sent to them to the emergency room in Fairfax city; usually less crowded but the doctors are just so so.