Thursday, February 23, 2006

Where's My Chauffeur

Both kids went to school today, although Catherine claimed she didn't want to go once they got there (I think it's because it's been so long since she had actually been she was getting used to not going). After dropping off the kids Ginger came back home and chauffeured me to work. I believe she ran some errands after that and picked up some new pajamas for the kids.

Catherine did some cutting today. She got a book for her birthday where she gets to cut out pictures. Quinn immediately wanted to play with it once he saw her playing with it, so Ginger thinks she's going to have to go get another book.

Ginger's car was fixed today. I had to get a ride again to pick it up (thanks KennyG). Because of that I ended up coming home a bit earlier than usual. I believe my coming home may have woken up Quinn early from his nap. Quinn and I went outside (the high today was around 50 degrees, so it wasn't too cold) and I replaced some lightbulbs that had gone out in the lamp on our walkway. Quinn raced around the yard while I did the light changing. Changing the light didn't take long and soon we were back inside. Once Catherine was up and over being cranky, her and Quinn started playing together. Quinn was playing a xylophone, then they pretended to play / act out an episode of Little Einsteins for a bit. After that Catherine played with the xylophone by herself while Quinn went into the library and played with his race cars (he's amassing quite the collection of cars).

There wasn't much to watch on TV tonight. Ginger watched "Dancing with the Stars" and I watched some Daily Shows. The Olympics being on have really cut down on new television programming since other networks are running reruns or in the case of the WB just not running programming at all and throwing up some movies.

I found out tonight that all the video recording I've been doing of tapes recently with Microsoft's movie maker have been fairly low rez captures (320x240). I should have realized what was up when a full hour of capture was only taking up ~220 meg. The captures I was doing before with Pinnacle were recording avi files that were closer to 6 Gig for half an hour which I assume is the data in raw format with little to no formatting / compression (the reason I finally noticed was I started to wonder how I still had so much disk space after capturing so many tapes). I'm curious how other people are bringing in their video. I know KenC said he basically had a terrabyte of disk space for video storage, but how are normal people handling bringing in that much data? Are you bringing it in at the lower rez? Or bringing it in at the higher rez, then creating a new movie file and allowing some compression of the data and deleting the larger original data file?

In other news Ginger and I are looking into trying find a beach house for a vacation down at Nags Head. We're not sure what our exact criteria is yet. A hot tub is a must, but a pool is more iffy since the kids have access to a pool here over the summer.

3 comments:

Barry said...

When I was importing from my video camera, I brought it in with no compression; about 12 GB/hour. Then I would typically make my edits and burn it on a DVD. Iwould also make a smaller/shorter wmv version which was compressed. Then I delete the avi and DVD image from the hard drive. I still save the tape from the camera.

However, no I usually just shoot video with my digital camera (640x480 res) and the movie clips are short and when transferred to the computer use some type of mpeg compression, but they are still pretty good. The resolution on my Sony Digital 8 video camera is about the same as the digital camera, but the frame rate is better and the lighting is much much better when using the real video camera. Its just much more convenient with the little point and shoot.

Barry

Scott said...

All of my video are done with the Pentax Optio S6 ultracompact. My particular camera supports 640x480 video at 30 fps (which is nice), but you're right about the lighting been suboptimal. However, I agree with Barry, the convenience of the small size makes up for it in that you capture much more than you would if you had to remember lugging around the big camera.

I wish Picasa would let you edit video the same way you can do photos. That would take care of a lot.

Curt Sawyer said...

The only show that matters has not been in reruns:

Battlestar Galactica