Friday, September 21, 2007

Donnie Darko

So I watched Donnie Darko last night. I kept seeing it show up on message boards and various other places where people would say how good it was. I had never heard of the movie so I figured I would give it a shot. It's no big surprise that I had never heard of it since looking it up on Box Office Mojo reveals it made under a million dollars in theatrical release. Not exactly what one would refer to as a blockbuster. Sadly I can't discuss much about the movie since the main plot is slowly revealed through the movie and as such it's probably best to know as little as possible before watching the film (otherwise some aspects of it will be ruined). I'm not even sure what genre this movie would fall into, probably fantasy or Sci-Fi if I was forced to choose. And I will say that the characters in the movie are entertaining and enjoyable throughout most of the move, but I absolutely hated the ending. In fact, the ending was so different and illogical that I actually watched parts of the movie again with the director commentary on to see what the heck they were thinking. Unfortunately what I discovered is they were playing with a set of rules they hadn't bothered to tell the audience. There's a book referenced in the movie that explains what is happening. This book is an extra on the DVD (at least the 12 to 15 pages of it are), but as a viewer you're never exposed to some of the concepts within the book until you look it up in the extra section of the DVD (and if you look at it before the movie, then that ruins part of the mystery plot). So overall I liked the characters, the mystery, and for the most part the execution of the movie, but I absolutely hated the unexplainable / illogical event that drives the movie.

1 comment:

gaz said...

i love this movie - each time i watch it i get a little something else from the story making sense. you can't beat a movie that makes you want to watch it again straight after it's finished. definitely a classic.