Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Come On! Yeah Right.


TV premiere week continues as tonight I manage to watch Monday night's debut of Journeyman, tonight's season premiere of Bones, Monday night's season premiere of Heroes, the penultimate chapter of this season's Eureka and finally to cleanse the palate a dash of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. All of which means I didn't get to my Netflix movie that arrived tonight, the recently released Babylon 5: Lost Tales.

And since some people might want to hear something about kids, I'll let you know that Quinn is trying his best to get into serious trouble. He's recently picked up some bad habits in regards to talking back and responding to his parental units. I've been letting some of it slide because I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean for it to sound as rude as it does and it has just become a habit for him now. Recently though if you say anything to him that he disagrees with he'll respond with "Yeah right." And he's even got the inflection down pat that makes it sound disbelieving. Not sure where he picked this one up. I'm hoping it wasn't me, but who knows.

His other response is similar in that if you tell him to do something he doesn't really want to do he'll respond with "Come on!" Maybe a quarter of the time he uses that phrase he'll also throw in a "You can't be serious" after it. We think he might have picked this one up from school since when Ginger and Catherine were at the playground at school today waiting for Quinn to finish classes they heard one of the kids that was in Quinn's class last year yelling "Come on!" a lot. Ginger says Catherine even thought it was Quinn because of the phrase being used and she had to explain to her that it was some other kid.

The third phrase we've heard a lot is when he gets shocked by something. Then it's "Oh my gosh!" Sometimes it feels like we're listening to Janice from Friends though since he'll stagger it and make it "Oh... My... Gosh!" So we're now in the mode of trying to deprogram him from saying these things. Which seems to have the opposite effect and seems to making him say the phrases even more than he was before.

Now that's not to say Catherine's the perfect angel. She has her faults too, but for right now talking back isn't a big one. Her biggest thing now is "I don't want to!" when you tell her to do something, but at her age I think that's to be expected. She also plays the fake crying card way more than she should. Since Ginger and I both know that's what she's doing, it's not affording her any real benefit at the current time, so we're hoping she just stops that on her own soon.

The picture up top is another from me wandering around the school this past weekend while Quinn was attending his tennis lesson. I've been trying to play around with stuff in Gimp trying to get more comfortable with making adjustments to the photos. So far I've just played around with tones and contrast. Photo manipulation at this point is far from second nature and I find myself struggling to find the presentation of the image that I like or even to accomplish what from reading tutorials and such seem to be easy tasks. Hopefully it's something that comes with practice. I suppose it could that the photos I'm taking just aren't good to begin with and no amount of playing around in Gimp can save them.

2 comments:

gaz said...

tehe. the stuff the kids latch on to and say is always interesting.
ruben sometimes comes out with "flippin eck!" and another favourite of his at the moment is "wo?" in a kind of 'speak up i can't hear you/you talking to me?' tone of voice. to which we reply "you mean pardon". to which his usual response is "wo?".
ethan picked up an interesting word from school - when he got down from the table once to go to the bathroom and was asked where he was going... he informed us he was "...going for a piss!". we couldn't believe it and very calmly (but firmly) that this was not an expression we wanted him to use again.
i love the fact that they aren't aware of the possibly offensive nature of what they are saying. innocence is a wonderful thing.

that photo is pretty cool btw. i'm wondering what was at the end of the stand in the white space.

Scott said...

"I'm hoping it wasn't me"

Yeah, right.