Sunday, June 29, 2008

In Bruges

So I watched In Bruges the other night. I knew almost nothing about it other than I had seen a poster for it in the theater way back when I went and saw Cloverfield. I hadn't even thought about it since, but then this past week I saw the DVD got released on Tuesday, so I slapped it on my Netflix queue and there amazingly enough there was no wait at all even though it was a brand new movie. Perhaps considering it hadn't been released yet in January and here it's already on DVD in June might have something to do with that fact.

After watching it I was amazed that this movie hasn't gotten more attention. It's really good. At least I think so. And I almost forgot, the movie had midgets. And as anyone who has played Balderdash with me knows, I have a thing for movies with midgets. The big negative is just about anything that would make a movie R rated is there in spades. Just about every sentence has some foul language, if not multiple instances of it. Oh, and it's got drug use, alcohol abuse, violence and prostitues. Hmmm, in retrospect this movie isn't going to be for everyone. Colin Farrel is in it and turns in what I thought was a spot on performance considering he's sharing screen time with Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It's hard to describe the film, other than a couple of guys who work as hitmen have a hit go bad and end up getting sent to Bruges until things die down. The movie is mostly dialogue, which is fast paced and believable. The movie also has a bit of an action finish. And I must say some of the scenic shots of the town itself are absolutely gorgeous. This movie is nothing like your typical Hollywood movie and I must say the end result was a pleasure to watch.

3 comments:

wtfree3 said...

I had to laugh twice when reading your review:

1. "Just about every sentence has some fowl language, if not multiple instances of it." So, lots of clucking and scratching?

2. You also say "Colin Farrel is in it and turns in what I thought was a spot on performance..." after mentioning "...it's got drug use, alcohol abuse, violence and prostitues." To which I say, this must not have been much of a stretch for Colin (if you believe the tabloid reports).

JamesF said...

Ha! I obviously went right past the fowl thing. I corrected it, but at least my stupidity has been preserved here.

Ken Church said...

"I have a thing for movies with midgets"

In case you care, there is currently a "special" movie with Vern Troyer bouncing around the interweb.