Thursday, February 28, 2008

Déjà Rejection

I've spotted a new trend. Apparently on a yearly basis my car is going to be rejected when I go to get it inspected. This time it was for the back brakes which were evidently "pretty worn". Last year I thought I got a fair assessment, this year I'm not so sure. And did the cost of inspections go up? Looking at my blog post from last year the inspection cost was $16, this year it cost $26. Is the cost no longer regulated by the state and everyone can charge willy nilly? Or did the overall cost really go up 62.5%? That seems like a hefty increase.

So news on the sickness front is evidently Quinn threw up in the middle of the night, but he had his bucket with him and neither Ginger nor I even knew he had thrown up until the morning. Kudos to him for not even needing us. It should come as no to anyone that he stayed home today recovering. From what I heard he camped out on the sofa and watched a lot of TV and didn't have any other incidents during the day. Last night I had gone to the library to pick up some books Ginger had reserved and while I was there I looked through the DVDs they have available for kids and found "The Best of the Electric Company". I have fond memories of that show from when I was younger so I figured I would rent it so the kids could watch it (and last night I had also assumed that Quinn would be home today and might need something new to watch, and if it could be even slightly educational, all the better). I'm not sure Quinn (or Catherine since she got to watch some of it later in the day when she got home) liked it as much as I did as a kid. I remember Electric Company being what you wanted to watch once you were too old for Sesame Street. And it had entertaining recurring characters like The Adventures of Letterman, the hipster Morgan Freeman as Easy Reader, a mime version of Spider-Man and let's not forget Bill Cosby (although when I made a joke about "eating the puddin' pops" all I got were blank stares from everyone).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the Electric Company as a kid! I will be checking my local library for a copy. As far as the Bill Cosby joke goes...
aaaahahahahaha!!!

BullBunky said...

Funny you should mention Electric Company. Something triggered me to search for some of this stuff on YouTube, and wow...such odd memories. As much as it makes me laugh, I can see how it might look REALLY dated to kids today. Unlike Sesame Street, which has held up over time better.

wtfree3 said...

Vehicle emissions inspection - it happens every other year in Northern Virginia. If it's been an even number of years since you bought your car, that's probably what it was.

Have you watched the DVD for Schoolhouse Rock? More flashbacks on that one (though it also includes some newer ones that just aren't as good).

JamesF said...

It was a normal inspection, not emissions.

And yea, we actually own the school house rock DVD, but the kids have only watched the number shorts so far.