Monday, February 25, 2008

Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig


I finally finished watching Stand Alone Complex: Second Gig tonight. It feels like I've had these DVDs for ages (I think I started watching the second season last summer). I started off strong watching a couple of episodes and then when things got really busy I didn't keep with it. But since we're dealing with the lack of programming due to the writer's strike and no Daily Show or Colbert Report for the past week or so I was able to pick up where I left off. And after watching the end I have to wonder why I it took me so long to get back to it. It's got it all. An overall story arc, character bits, and action galore (there are one or two talking head episodes where they go over everything in the story so far, but there's only one or two of those). The whole group of Section 9 is back in season two. And just as before all 26 episodes of the season combine to tell one large story that mixes personal stories with large scale political stories. Also in this season we get to learn some more background about some of the Section 9 characters through flashbacks tales (think of it like Lost, but providing actual closure). And while there's no shortage of action I was actually happy to see they had Major Motoko in less states of undress this season (HR must have informed her that wearing the Flashdance type outfit from season one to work was inappropriate). That's not to say they don't have the occasional partial thong shot, but this season it seems to be the exception rather than the norm. More often than not this season the Motoko is her combat suit. Overall an excellent series and I really wish there was a season three.

No comments: