Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Free Rice


Stupid ice storm. My commute home is normally 8 minutes (+/-1), but tonight was 47 minutes as traffic was just completely stopped in some places. I really should have known better and taken the back route home which would have had me going against traffic, but I just wasn't thinking. Oh, and did I mention an idiot driver almost ran into me switching lanes without looking because apparently *they* are too important to sit still in the non moving traffic. I guessing schools will be late or closed tomorrow at the rate things are going now.

It's a good thing I had gone to vote earlier in the day and I wasn't trying to get there before they closed tonight, because if I been trying to get there tonight during this traffic I wouldn't have made it. I know my Mom's upset with tonight's outcome since McCain took VA and she's a big Huckabee supporter (it's so cute that she still thinks he'll win).

And I've spent the last couple days moving shows Ginger wanted to save off the TiVo onto the computer so that when the new TiVo shows up in theory I can push those shows onto the new TiVo. And I say days I mean the computer has literally been pulling data for well over 24 hours straight. It'll be interesting to see if that works and I can move the media from one TiVo to the other one (all the information seems to imply it should work). I moved off about 40 Gig worth of shows over my old school 54 Mbps wireless network which is why I think it took so long (I really need to consider upgrading to at least the 108 Mbps at some point). Not sure how the TiVo desktop app will do with moving them onto a different TiVo though since as of now it seems to only know about the one it's currently connected to.

And finally I figured I would let everyone in on my new favorite time killer. I usually manage to start out at a level of 40, drop to about 38 pretty quick and then slowly drift down until I settle somewhere around the 36 range.

9 comments:

Barry said...

Karen does that Free Rice thing. Who's this guy Rice and why does he need to be freed?

If you're old school what am I? I'm, still running 802.11b (11 Mbps) for my wireless setup.

Scott said...

I don't get these sites like Free Rice. So, you've got this guy sitting on millions of bags of rice, but he'll only disburse them if you play his little game. I mean, really? Just give them the rice!

It's like those old Sally Struthers commercials for Feed the Kids in Africa. You know the cameraman was munching on a peanut butter sandwich between takes!

Anonymous said...

Just testing blogger's new openID feature.

JamesF said...

Scott: I don't get these sites like Free Rice. So, you've got this guy sitting on millions of bags of rice, but he'll only disburse them if you play his little game. I mean, really? Just give them the rice!

Someone didn't read the FAQ.

I don't think the guy has the rice. He uses the money generated from the ad views to buy and send the rice. And as you play the game with each page load you're generating revenue with the ad views. That makes sense to me anyway.

Cheryl said...

Cool picture of the marbles.

Huckabee? oh my....

Curt Sawyer said...

Huckabee would never win the general election - he has zero appeal to moderates and independents. If the right-wing republicans want a democrat in the white house, they should keep voting for Huckabee.

I read a great article from Europe on how America only has one party - the right. Even our so-called "left" is so far to the right of the European Left that it may as well be one big right (as far as Europe is concerned). They describe our Democrats as "right" and our Republicans as "scary right".

McCain has appeal across independents (even if he did idiotically state that he doesn't believe in evolution - are all of you religious people retarded or just acting like you are?). If he wins the nomination the election will be a tough battle for both sides. If Huckabee wins the nomination then the Democrats have it in the bag.

And FYI, I'm registered as an Independent.

Scott said...

Capt Sawyer: are all of you religious people retarded or just acting like you are?

LMAO!!!!!

Well said!

Huckabee doesn't have a chance... I really think that. McCain will be the nomination with Huck as the veep. That will cement the "scary right" into their proper place for the elections.

Obama is as close as we have to "European Liberal". H. Clinton is actually pretty conservative compared to most traditional FDR-style Democrats. (But then, so too was Bill.)

Scott said...

James: Someone didn't read the FAQ.

I don't even read your blog! Why would I read the FAQ. Everybody knows I just look at the pictures.

:-)

gaz said...

barry - Who's this guy Rice and why does he need to be freed?
i'm glad it's not just me. i thought condoleza had been snatched!!