Thursday, May 24, 2007

Random Bits

Not much to report today. Ginger took this picture of Catherine sporting a NASCAR shirt. Guess I should have seen this coming. I can't believe the shirt is pink though. I mean, it's NASCAR, shouldn't that be a 'manly' color. But pink? Really? In case you're not 'in the know', number nine is driver Kasey Kahne. Kind of a good looking guy, so I guess I could see how the ladies would like this particular driver. A quick google search for NASCAR drivers and female fans reveals an article that says this about Kasey: "a better-than-average driver who is anything but average when it comes to looks."

On the Quinn front one of the things he got for his birthday were some Lego race cars. This one he put together all buy himself with no help from anyone else. He sat there and followed the instructions and put the whole thing together stickers and all. I think he did pretty good. I know, this may not seem like a huge accomplishment, but for him it's a pretty big deal since he tends to give up on stuff pretty quickly at times. So this should be a big boost to his self confidence I would hope. Quinn's also been doing really good reading entry level books. Still takes him a while sometimes for words he hasn't seen before, but I'm very pleased with the progress he's making.


When I got home these two guys were playing out back. They were very skittish though, so I could only take pictures from really far away with the zoom. Which with the sun going down and not using the flash it pushed the shutter speed to the point where things started getting a bit blurry. I probably should have tried shutter priority mode, but I was just trying to get the shot before they ran off (which they did shortly after I got the picture). Luckily neither of these were the rabbit Curt referred to in the comments the other day.


And if only I knew someone who knew a thing or two about horticulture. Then they could answer this question I have. There are these trees in our backyard, and I can see these blooms in the tree. But all of the blooms are significantly off the ground (at least two stories most of the time). I haven't been able to locate any tree with these blooms closer to the ground. It's been speculated the bloom placement may have something to do with access to sunlight, but at the edge of the tree line even those trees that have significant access to sunlight all down the side of the tree only have these blooms way up in the tree. So why exactly is that? I really wanted to get a picture inside one of those things, because they look darned cool from what I can see of them from far away.

3 comments:

gaz said...

ethan had a few of these lego racers for christmas and quite likes mixing the pieces to make hybrid ones.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Hybrid Lego's? What is the world coming to?

Buddy Tignor said...

It is actually a tulip poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera, not really a poplar at all, but more closely related to Magnolias. You can read more here:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/liriodendron/tulipifera.htm

I am not entirely sure why there are no flowers close to the ground, but I think it is probably because the trees grow very rapidly and take a couple of decades to reach reproductive maturity. Could also be an important advantage for cross pollination, fruit development, and subsequent seed dispersal.